Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla
Bookmark and Share
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
RE: OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla
(06-29-2020 10:33 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 09:43 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  It's hard to know what is really happening between UA and UCLA, but I'd have to believe licensed merchandise sales have been well below projections as Bruins' football and basketball have really struggled of late in the Pac12. One of the biggest media markets, but lots of professional and collegiate competitors vying for interest in L.A. too. Do you buy your son a Lakers jersey or one from a pretty average UCLA squad?

It begs the question, will UA, Adidas, and Nike try to downgrade lots of deals in 2020 given the precarious position of college athletics? If we have college football and basketball (I believe we will) crowd restrictions will limit game day retail merchandise sales as never before.

UC can ill afford to lose revenue on this side of the equation, given the current conference TV deal and looming attendance restrictions.

I used to work for a California based company up until a few years. I had a contact out in the LA office who was a UCLA alum and fan. To listen to him talk, he was not bullish on the Bruin fanbase of administration. He acknowledged they were distantly behind pro sports and USC in the pecking order out there. Said fans were extremely fickle, and attendance (butts in the seat, not tickets distributed) were much worse than reported.

With respect to the administration, he did not believe they were committed to winning at a high level in revenue sports. In the PAC12 the Olympic sports are a big deal, so there are limitations there that schools in other parts of the country do not face.

i think it's really difficult for college teams in big pro sports markets or cities that have a ton of other stuff to do to build a critical mass of supporters. This is especially tough if you aren't a great team to begin with. in recent memory only SC and the Canes come to mind as having continued success in cultivating a fan base for colleges located in those big pro sports markets/"big city" environments. Boston College, Rutgers, ucla, Cal, Northwestern, Washington, GA Tech the list goes on and on.

i'm not disputing what you're saying about their admin/leadership but it certainly isn't unique to ucla.

06-29-2020 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla - eroc - 06-29-2020 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.