tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd
(07-16-2020 06:57 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 06:12 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 12:29 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 10:29 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 09:41 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  that nobody sowed anything but somehow things still ended up poorly for them (Breonna Taylor). The jury is out as to whether that happens more often with black folks (and if there is any intent from the standpoint of the police when race is involved).

You seem to be undecided on what you think, citing "nobody sowed anything" in the first sentence, but then questioning if there was "any intent from the standpoint of the police" in the next sentence.

The second part of the sentence I meant the incidents in general (not specific to BT).

Quote:Here's the way I handle that question: I try to imagine the scenario that would include intent.

For example: there was a meeting at Joe Cop's house of a bunch of white officers, and they thought it would be fun to go kill a random black woman under the guise of serving a warrant at the wrong address. The plan was met with much enthusiasm and so that is what they did.

Does this really seem realistic to you? I think it is more likely that a UFO swooped down and took over their brains. Yes, literally, more likely to involve extraterrestrials than planned murder.

Now, maybe you can imagine a different scenario that would include intent. If so, tell us what it is. If not, then you got some 'splaining to do.

I don't think they had any intent or plan to kill a black person that night. I think there was bad policing in general but without any proof of intent I wouldn't charge them with murder. I brought BT up as somebody who hadn't done anything wrong (sowed) but still died at the hands of the police. It was probably a bad example because her case was likely a horrible tragedy and horrible police work but unlikely a crime IMO.

Probably unlikely a result of any form of racism (that is the 'disparity exists so we will call any form of disparity racism' kind ("systemic"), the 'get a noose for the uppity black' (explicit kind), or the 'gee I dont realize what I am doing' kind (inconscious racism).

So the subject was the role of supposed racism in police brutality --- yet BT is brought up as a notion here.
\
And her name is on placards carried by BLM marchers.

Amazing that.

I was surprised that BT broached the discussion here at first. Then I wasn't.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2020 07:16 PM by tanqtonic.)
07-16-2020 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd - tanqtonic - 07-16-2020 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.