Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd
(07-15-2020 10:11 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 10:02 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 09:37 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 09:34 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-15-2020 09:28 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Having conversations with black people when it comes to issues that specifically affect the black community can actually lead to some insight/awareness. Crazy.

Yep, I have those same conversations. Maybe my set of 'black friends' isnt nearly as homogenous of yours. But thank you for the statement of my implied ignorance in your post.

I have noted for you on multiple occasions my pro bono work for primarily black churches and their communities here, havent I? I am fairly sure I have.

But leave it to you to make that fairly asinine assumption and statement above without bothering to remember that, or for that matter, just assuming that.

Very progressive of you there, pardner.

I didn't imply that you don't have those conversations... simply responding to your suggestion that my conversations with black friends were less-than-valuable. I don't make any assumptions about anonymous people on internet forums.

Can the bull**** self-righteousness there sparkles. There is zero reason for your added comments to your reply than the implied rationale noted above.

Please can the bull**** if you could. Dont piss on my leg and tell me it is raining. If you dont see that, then I would say your ability to register what you type is pretty much zero.

As for your conversations, I am simply denoting that your haven is simply -- conversations. I cant judge how 'valuable' they are -- to you or to anyone else.

But 'conversations with some unknown and amorphous group of black people' really isnt an iota of difference in something that can be, and for a decent amount is, objective. I thought that point had already been made last month when your discussed your 'systemic blahbitty blah blah blah' statements of fact.

Hey, happy for you with your conversations. Hope they bring you love and happiness. As a basis for proof on this issue, well, not much can be said.

My neighbors in the Hill Country have conversations with me stating that Biden is a Russian intelligence plant. I guess I should take that seriously based on that concentration of opinions -- that is the 93 modus here so why not there?

Ummm... because your Hill Country neighbors have zero insight into whether or not Biden is a Russian plant? That is their pure speculation based on ridiculous sources.

OTOH conversations with black people about police interactions with black people can actually lead to some insight/awareness?

Biden is no more or no less a Russian plant than Trump was. yet your people had no trouble buying that fairy tale.

93, I do not doubt the sincerity of your black friend's beliefs. I do however, doubt their accuracy.

We have done this exercise before, but let's do it again.

I am stopped by a cop, and given a ticket. It never occurs to me that it might be because I am white. Your friend is stopped by a cop and given a ticket. It does not occur to him that it might NOT be because he is black.

So, same cop, same offense, same scenario - I think I got caught speeding, your friend thinks he got a DWB. And he tells you he got a DWB, and you accept that without a second thought.

The cop is brusque. I don't immediately jump to he hates white people or he hates red cars but your friend is predisposed to believe he hates black people. and he tells you that and you accept it uncritically.

Of course somebody will point to some stats that say red cars get more tickets. To which I say, maybe people who like red cars drive faster.

I think it is a matter of perceptions and expectations.

If I think the Tax Department is out to get me, and then they bill me for something old, I would say "knew it! Just what I told my friend 93 would happen." Or next time I get a ticket, I can say "knew it! They just hate guys who drive red cars". Will you accept my explanation/belief as uncritically as you accept others?

Wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard a poker player say "I never hit flushes, so I have stopped trying". Wait a minute, I do have a dollar - and more - for every time I have heard that!!!! It becomes a self fullfilling prophecy. Thank you, Joe, for folding your flush draw and letting my two pair win.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 10:49 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
07-15-2020 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd - OptimisticOwl - 07-15-2020 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.