Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Response to the killing of George Floyd
tanqtonic Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd
I would agree with you on 'responses to low level calls'.

Like, when the property behind me holds a party (the owner rents to 4 non-related 26 year olds, with an outside pool, and the kids have *zero* concept of being a good neighbor) --- I would prefer a system that when I call the cops at 2am that it doesnt detract from the effective crime fighting force.

Criminy, breaking it down to those types of issues might even mean the calls are responded to (right now, speaking with the neighbors on the other sides, the ratio of calls versus visits for the parties is somewhere around 12 calls to 4 cop showups --- the remainder involve me and the neighbors walking into the backyard and telling them to pipe down, and the other neighbor, another lawyer, actually drafting a civil complaint and leaving an unfiled copy with the house).

I would assume all 311 calls could be routed to such ancillary police-like offshoots.

And, let the 311 types have the power to run traffic enforcement.

But, dont pull all traffic enforcement from the real cops. It is a very valuable tool in that respect.

Again, my suggestion is to loosen liability if/when cops do 'bad'. Right now, as noted before, a cop has to go a *long* way off the reservation to be subject to civil liability. And, cities/counties are themselves hiding behind this liability shield, since it is *only* when a cop is found liable that the jurisdiction is implicated and has to pay for it.

Loosening qualified immunity is a check on jurisdictions to ensure that their cops 'behave' in a proper and legal manner. Kind of the same legal liability check that exists on every single member of society, and every person/entity that sells anything. Use the private enforcement power of the civil court system in a more liberal manner as a check.
06-26-2020 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Response to the killing of George Floyd - tanqtonic - 06-26-2020 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.