Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season?
Bookmark and Share
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season?
(05-14-2020 07:37 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(05-14-2020 05:16 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 09:38 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I posted the "show me the money" gif from the perspective that ultimately money wins. Make that big money...wins out every time vs financial pain or ruin. If a college football season is not played AT ALL in 2020/21, coupled with the revenue loss of the NCAA tournament just a few months back, then the financial damage would be irreparable to universities. It's already starting to happen to some institutions. Can the universities continue to exist with no football season - yes. But not in their current forms. A reconstitution structurally, administratively, and finanically would be in order. Go one step further - many college town communities that aren't big metro areas are dependent economically on college football. It's no different than beach communities. Close beaches down and all the travel/tourism/employment/tax dollars tied to it goes down too.

I guarantee you short of "marshall law prohibition," they will play a season sooner or later in some way, shape, or form. The worst case scenario is the season will be played in the spring. Many articles I've read [and posted], including comments from our own commissioner, is the spring scheduling option was gaining traction as universities consider different scenarios. America loves its sports - whether that is right or wrong - and it's woven in the very fabric of our souls, our institutions, and our enconomy. There's just too much at stake financially long term to cancel the college football season [and other professional sports for that matter] indefinitely.

Most public and virtually all private Universities must have students on campus in the Fall or they will suffer huge financial losses. When students come back - football will surely follow.

I agree. But I was shocked that the Cal State system pulled the plug this early on students returning to campus in the fall. With the exception of San Diego State and maybe Fresno State, few of those schools are competitive in football. But those conferences now have a big hole in their scheduling.

My belief is we should keep an eye on Columbus. Whatever OSU decides, I expect the rest of the Ohio public universities will follow. And I'd be very surprised if OSU shuts down campus and, as a result, Buckeye football. Fans in the stands remains a TBD.

And just think, if fans aren't allowed in the stands, UC would lose it's tremendous home field advantage in Oxford this fall. Rimshot

California is an odd duck within Higher Education. They likely won't even face cuts due to the significant float money in the state budget for each institution...plus, with news that LA County just renewed their stay at home order for another 3 months, it wouldn't have mattered much anyways.

05-14-2020 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - BearcatMan - 05-14-2020 08:14 AM
BB Class of 2020 - Cataclysmo - 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.