Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season?
Bookmark and Share
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season?
My wife works for one of the major medical research entities in Cincinnati as a clinical supervisor for an outpatient practice. One of her coworker's parents tested positive for COVID-19 and her coworker was showing telltale symptoms a couple weeks ago of also having it. HR advised her not to be tested to confirm the diagnosis and to wear a mask at work until her symptoms disappeared. (They have since all been outfitted with paper masks and face shields, and are supposed to use the former until they are visibly soiled.)

The same entity was talking major steps towards setting up drive thru testing stations in various parts of the city (including downtown) to test for both university patients and patients referred outside of the network by other entities. They were going as far as to mobilize their office doctor and admin staff to man these tents to help with testing activity as recent as two weeks ago. This was abruptly halted when it was reported that there was a lack of available test kits.

Most of the testing in Hamilton County, at least up to a week or so ago, had been done by private test labs, not major health corporations. Also notice the higher number of positive tests in Cuyahoga County. This isn't because the disease is hitting harder in Cleveland. It's because that's where Cleveland Clinic is.

This is THE major medical research entity in Cincinnati, and they don't have the test kits to confirm the majority of cases to determine how this is spreading. There are plenty of cases that are not, nor will ever be confirmed. It does not prove that the projections are wrong or that this shouldn't be taken seriously - it shows there is a lack of data.

I now know three people who have contracted it. Two are in their 20s, and have both recovered with exception to a lingering loss of smell. One is in his mid-90s and is currently on the highest level of oxygen permitted before requiring a respirator and is in ICU. If you don't know someone who has contacted this by the time this is all said and done, you will be in the vast minority. I'm not talking about knowing of someone, like Joe Diffie or a celebrity. I mean someone with whom you have a personal relationship. The danger here is that because this is a new disease, there is no vaccination, there is no defined treatment, and there is no defined practice of isolating those who have tested positive (especially without the ability or willingness to test for it due to lack of resources). This alone makes it much different than the flu.

Bottom line is that even people with symptoms aren't being tested, much less asymptomatic people.

I think we will have sports in the summer and fall, but not without restricted capacities at a minimum, and likely without any spectators in many cases. It will be interesting to see how it is produced, but I think all of the people who were dismissive of the idea previously would rather see something than nothing at all.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2020 08:11 PM by crex043.)
04-15-2020 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - crex043 - 04-15-2020 07:56 PM
BB Class of 2020 - Cataclysmo - 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.