EMU Football's Effect on EMU Basketball
Bookmark and Share
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: EMU Football's Effect on EMU Basketball
(03-10-2020 09:28 AM)eastcoasteagle Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 09:18 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 08:59 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Division 1 college football and college basketball are fundamentally different. The levels of investment you need to succeed in FBS football are several orders of magnitude greater than college basketball. That's why it took so long to have a coach to get us to a consistent, decent level of play. It's much harder to do in football.

There are MANY conferences in Division 1 basketball that are smaller than the MAC. Smaller budgets, smaller coaching salaries, smaller alumni bases, worse facilities, etc. There are probably 150+ D1 programs that have fewer resources than we do. And we can play as many of those as we want in the non-conference, but people say that's equivalent to an FBS football season?

The MAC is in the bottom two of FBS, and always will be a bottom tier conference. Consider this: FOUR Ohio State assistant coaches will be making more than $1 million this season. ASSISTANTS. And that's the same level we play in!

We can only play one game against lower conferences (FCS) at a MAX per season. 1 FCS game is 8.3% of the football season, while Murphy is playing 4 games against non-NCAA, which is 12.5% of the season PLUS he gets to play worse conferences in the OOC that still are Division 1.

I’m not talking about anything OOC. Both Creighton and Murphy have largely been very good over the years against similar D1/FBS teams from other conferences (Creighton more so lately). When it comes to MAC results, neither has been able to get us over the hump, and they’ve both had GREAT chances to do so.

I would gladly trade all 3 of those Big Ten wins that Creighton has just to even play at Ford Field for the MACC, just as I would gladly trade Murphy’s win over Michigan to see them in the championship game in Cleveland. That’s what is important. You don’t hang a banner for beating Illinois or playing well against Pittsburgh.

It does feel like Creighton is pushing to get this program to the next level and has the skills and drive to get there. I haven't felt the same about Murphy's program in a long time.

At the very minimum, the football team is competitive in 90% of their games and I can't say the same about basketball. They just look totally lost out there sometimes.

Murphy’s results this year should warrant him being fired. Not arguing there. We had too many games where we weren’t competitive.

I would’ve agreed about Creighton until this past season when we got dismantled by Buffalo (at home) and CMU, who weren’t exactly world beaters. Those type of results hadn’t happened since 2015, and I’m worried they’ll happen again in 2020 with the state of our defense. If we have a poor year, then Creighton’s seat should be hot in a make-or-break 2021 season, but I’m not sure it will be.
03-10-2020 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: EMU Football's Effect on EMU Basketball - EagleSam - 03-10-2020 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.