Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MVC Commissioner Uturns Stance — Now Considering Expansion to 12
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: MVC Commissioner Uturns Stance — Now Considering Expansion to 12
(04-22-2021 03:51 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 09:14 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 08:13 PM)mvcfan76 Wrote:  Hey fellas, I have viewed this board on and off but due to this thread decided to post somethings here. I have degrees from Illinois State and Bradley, my sister went to Loyola (though they were MCC/Horizon back then). I do not have an "in" or would ever claim to but i follow the MVC and specifically ISU and have a feel for the goals of MVC institutions and Athletic Departments. Like a lot of conference realignment talk i find people here are talking about MVC expansion with the false perception that the conference would expand for the sake of expansion.

First thing people seem to not remember when speculating on this issue and should always be kept in mind when discussing the MVC going to 12: When Wichita left the conference, the ADs and league put a strong emphasis on "being a consistent two bid league" Wichita was an underseeded 10 and ISU was a first four out the previous year. This is not an expansion goal but a league goal that has the conference discusses in terms of things like scheduling, investment in facilities, etc. Markets, academics, geography and public/private balance matter but there is zero chance the MVC, which firmly believes that 10 is in and of itself stable, is going to expand to 12 if the combination doesnt go towards "being a consistent two bid league"

In the short term the only combination that can fulfill that goal while bringing a market, keeping balance etc is Murray State and Belmont.
This talk is allegedly heating up and if that is true it is because the MVC has new leadership Belmont has new leadership meaning a fresh start. Additionally, Drake failed to win the MVC regular season or conference tourney and got into the dance, very few mid major conferences do that (WCC,A10,MWC). As a result the conference has started to ease some perception issues since Wichita left.

In short the MVC is stable at 10 and has no need to add unless it fits the institutional and athletic goals of the current 10 members and "being a consistent two bid league" is a major part of that among public/private balance, academics, markets, and geography

100%. That's why a lot of the discussion here about Chattanooga or UMKC or Detroit or whoever is just not in touch with the reality of the MVC.

Truth is MVC expansion is going to come down to only a few realistic schools who advance the league's goals athletically. Murray St narrowly missed last time and is a perfect fit culturally. There's no need to overthink this.

The MVC places paramount emphasis on sustaining its relevance in basketball and making sure that doesn't slip. That's why the final 2 last time were Murray St and Valparaiso (with a reported 7-2 vote) - and not UIC and UWM or UNO and UMKC.

I also think that's where Frank the Tank misses the mark on Murray St. If university presidents were a hard-no on Murray St, they wouldn't have been razor close to getting in just a few years ago. In fact, if Belmont had said yes then, Murray St would be in the league today in a 12-school MVC.

The league will explore everything as presidents always do, but at the end of the day this will come down to Murray St and Belmont, if Belmont wants in. This is a straightforward expansion process, imo.

I don’t think Detroit Mercy is as far fetched as the others you mentioned. Which other program mentioned can say they’re lead by a coach who assisted one of the greatest of all time and has coached in the national championship game? The MVC does have the luxury to wait and see what develops. UDM has deep history with many MVC institutions and they expand the footprint into a large untapped metro. If Davis can get the program going then they’ll be dangerous like the teams of the late 90’s. But maybe it’s best for them to dominate the Horizon if it comes to that?

Murray State has sustained success over decades and I don’t see why they wouldn’t be at least competitive in the MVC. I’m not sold on this move for Belmont just yet.

Good points

I think the key possibilities are:
The MVC wants Belmont and is willing to go to 12 to make that happen

Or

The MVC wants 12 and prefers Belmont to make that happen?

The first scenario seems to be the consensus.
04-22-2021 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MVC Commissioner Uturns Stance — Now Considering Expansion to 12 - solohawks - 04-22-2021 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.