Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best
(03-29-2020 06:40 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  back in 95 it was a business agreement between Nebraska and UT.. now that arrangement wasn't the best for everyone else because off the un equal sharing. However after the 2011 change, which every school get an equal share for the tier 1 and 2 rights, how is that not in the best interests for the other 9 schools not UT?

The Big 12 was primarily organized by athletic directors DeLoss Dodds (UT) and Donnie Duncan (OU). The rest of the Big 8 were invited and came along, along with Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o...863b1.html

(03-29-2020 06:40 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  Is it because of the LHN network? ESPN plus has gathered most of the other members tier 3 content. And yet these other schools are getting bigger slices than the Pac and ACC as of now. With sports channels hurting because of the Pandemic going on, best believe some of these apps are going to get in on the action when negotiations get near.

The Longhorn Network was created by ESPN to prevent Texas and friends from moving to the Pac-12. ESPN pays UT around $15 million per year for LHN. It has never been profitable, but it has served its purpose: keeping Texas and friends out of the Pac-12, whose rights are not controlled by ESPN.

https://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-bi...twork.html

The Big 12 allows each member to control the rights to its own Tier 3 content. OU makes around $7 million per year in its deal with Fox. The other schools have had their own deals. For instance, Tech, Baylor, TCU, and OSU have had deals with Fox Sports Southwest. Now, the other eight schools have pooled their Tier 3 content with ESPN+ for streaming purposes. ESPN paid $40 million per year for three additional football championship games returned by Fox, in addition to Tier 3 streaming content for the other 8 schools. The three football games were valued at $22 million, so the other 8 schools are splitting $18 million for streaming.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour...ig-12.aspx

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2019/0...st-season/

So, each Big 12 school was paid $39 million this past year for Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights. With tier 3 included, the totals were:
  • Texas: $54 million
  • OU: $46 million
  • The others: A minimum of $40-41 million

Some of the schools are making a million or two more, but none are at OU's or especially UT's level.

(03-29-2020 06:40 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  I'm a Horn, and if Texas leaves to the sec I will get drunk off aggy tears once again. If we leave for conference usa so be it. I just enjoy the current Big 12 conference with a round robin. Texas will be ok financially.. ou should be ok financially if it had the right people budgeting it's money.. maybe they hired the former assistant budget person from Mizzu?

Texas will be fine regardless. OU is fine right now. There is not a huge difference in income between UT/OU and the other conferences at this moment. The issue is the future.

OU has no problem managing money. OU is as successful on the field as ever, except for national championships. The rub comes with the new conference TV contracts. The SEC will be bringing in a minimum of $67 million per school no later than 2024-25. The B1G will be able to command a similar contract. Based on the numbers generated on this site and elsewhere, the Big 12 will not be able to command as much money. OU would potentially be at a $20 million disadvantage compared with SEC or B1G schools. Texas would be at a smaller disadvantage, but would still have one. If you want to compete for national championships, you have to generate the necessary revenue. Even then, other things have to fall in place.

(03-29-2020 06:40 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  All this talk about the rust belt getting schools from coast to coast and the sec getting up to 20 members is crazy.. if it's like that why don't they just all sign up to be under one umbrella and break off schools with a set amount for the "value" it's bringing? Then hopefully the smart people will then divide the schools, get this.., geographically once again. I'm down for shades of the SWC again.

Trust me, I'd like to bring the Big 8 back. But that train has left the station and is not coming back. We're playing home-and-home against Nebraska in 2021-2022 and it won't be the same. For anyone under 50, it won't be a big deal at all.

If I could keep the Big 12 together at the rates of the SEC media deals, I'd be fine with it. I'd prefer to bring back A&M, Mizzou, and Nebraska, but that ship has sailed. In the current environment, OU is nationally relevant and plays regional rivals. That environment will change with the new TV deals, unless the Big 12 can somehow get a deal itself or with some combination with the Pac to generate the kind of money the SEC and B1G will make.

The B1G would be fine with me, though our people wouldn't get excited about playing any of the B1G schools except Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Those three eastern schools wouldn't come in very often, though. The academics would love to be in that conference.

I'd rather not be in a conference on the West coast, but there are benefits to being associated with USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford. The travel would be a bear. The passion for college football is not the same on the West coast. I'm not sure if a B12/P12 merger/hybrid could command the same $$ as the SEC.

So, yes, it's better to play regional rivals. I really don't care what conference OU is in as long as we play Texas, and maybe OSU. I want to be in the best position to be nationally relevant every year, to win a national championship in football when things fall right, and to provide the funds to other sports so they can be successful.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 09:49 PM by johnintx.)
03-29-2020 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best - johnintx - 03-29-2020 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.