JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best
(03-06-2020 12:43 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 12:28 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 10:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 08:42 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 08:38 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The Big 12 taking WV was the best move they could make under the circumstances. It wasn't something they wanted to do, it was something they pretty much had to do. The Big 12 had just bled out a lot of football value, and they needed football power, and at the time, WV was a football power, having won multiple Big East titles and BCS bowl titles in the previous few years. They had also already added TCU from the ranks of the non-power schools.

So who else was available? The only western school that could possibly have been an option was Utah, as they were a state flagship with good football too. But of course Utah had just moved to the PAC.

As a state flagship with good football and basketball, WV was clearly the best choice in a bad situation.

Louisville. They eventually won a national championship in men's basketball (at least before it was vacated), that could have been the Big 12's. They would have been in a larger market. The Big 12 could have also taken both West Virginia and Louisville and Cincinnati or two of them and BYU. Them staying at 10 makes them clearly a target to get raided (although I'm not sure if there's any extra schools the Big 12 could have added that would have changed that chance).

Nah, both WV and Louisville are bad fits for the Big 12, but as a desperation hire at least WV hasn't been the embarrassment for the Big 12 that UL has been for the ACC.

Quo, I assume you mean UL has been an embarrassment to the ACC in football. In men's and women's basketball and baseball I believe (maybe I'm wrong) UL has contributed nicely to the league.

Louisville has also held their own in football with the exception of 2018 and they made a bowl game this past season.

I believe gentlemen that Quo is not referencing sports performance but rather 3 scandals: Petrino, Pitino, and the founder of Papa John's, and a few other incidents that weren't quite as high in profile.
03-06-2020 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Staples: Now’s the time, Big 12, to go after the Pac-12’s biggest and best - JRsec - 03-06-2020 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.