Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Signing Day Thread ...
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: National Signing Day Thread ...
(02-06-2020 09:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-06-2020 08:47 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Keeping themselves at the top of the pile for a XII/ACC invite.

Thing is, though, there are different ways to look at the rankings. Some rank by overall points assigned to recruits, others by average ranking.

I like the latter, because otherwise volume can overwhelm quality. E.g., using a total points method, if school A signs three 3* guys they will rank ahead of a school B that signs two 4* guys, because the total score will be 9 to 8. But to me, school B recruited better, they got better players (assuming the stars are correct), they just didn't need to sign three guys.

I mean, if you compare USF to ECU on the 247 rankings, ECU is way ahead, they are #67 while we are a woeful #101. But that's because ECU signed 8 more guys. Our average quality ranking, 83.13, is actually better than theirs, which is 82.28.

Of course, volume does matter as well. You can't field a football team with just five guys. So the best ranking would combine them.

I've never been one to get excited about recruiting for a number of reasons, but one of the things I find amusing is that they give these average recruit rankings down to the hundredths. That's a high amount of detail for something that's just a guess anyway. It's like when they pull out the chains to measure whether the gain was 10 yards when the original spot and the final spot were both guesses anyway. Always been odd to me. I mean, if you drop the high (Cincy) and the low (Tulsa) - not including Navy because they are a different animal - the entire AAC is between 84-82... it's like a tie. But people will be like ECU finished 3rd or Tulane finished 2nd.
02-06-2020 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: National Signing Day Thread ... - Chappy - 02-06-2020 11:10 AM
National Signing Day Thread ... - bit_9 - 02-09-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.