Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 10 Proposal Would Allow Anyone To Transfer Anywhere Without Sitting Out a Year
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Big 10 Proposal Would Allow Anyone To Transfer Anywhere Without Sitting Out a Year
(02-18-2020 12:22 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 10:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-17-2020 05:22 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 05:22 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I think that the incoming freshmen need to stay at the school they stay sign with for 2 years before they can transfer without sitting. This proposed change is going to hurt the smaller schools, not just G5, even smaller p5 schools. The transfer portal is also hurting high school seniors, because schools are now holding on a spot for transfer or two.

I don't see it. The transfer portal utilization under the current rules has overwhelming been either P5 to P5 transfers or P5 transferring down.

Exactly. It has NOT drained talent away from the G5 to the P5. If anything, the opposite has occurred. Schools like SMU are now stocked with P5 transfers.

On balance, the portal has added talent to the G5 at P5 expense, as guys who thought they were too good for the G5 during recruiting find out they are 3rd on P5-State's depth chart and would rather immediately start now for a G5 instead.

Somebody did an analysis of all the transfers on a Coog site. What was shocking was the vast majority of the transfers from P5 and G5 schools were not landing anywhere in FBS (something like 80% of the transfers). In other words---they were largely going to FCS. That seemed surprising---but then---thats also where they didnt have to sit out a year.

If you dont have to sit out a year---and you're talking about players with multiple years to play---I dont know if we can really look at the past activity in the portal as predictive of the how a "instantly eligible" portal might play out. It might be like you say---it might not. The P5 attitude toward the portal might change---and more kids might use the portal. The P5 might see it as an excellent place to fill holes for the next season if the players coming in will be immediately available and most will have 2 or 3 years left to play. Plucking G5 stars might be a great strategy to quickly retool after a poor year. With no one year penalty---kids may be far more interested in moving to a P5 to improve their NFL value.

Like I said earlier---If Im a G5 coach---Im filling as much of my roster as possible from the portal. That guarantees that whoever I bring in will be here a while (can only transfer without sitting out once) and gives my roster consistency and guaranteed returning experienced players. Plus, I get players that are already a year older who have had a year in a college nutrition/weight training program. Thats an advantage over having 25 of my roster slots taken up by incoming HS freshman who probably cant contribute this year.

Good points. I think SMU has provided a kind of template for that. They got good quick by being opportunistic and aggressive with P5 transfers. I hope USF took notice, LOL.
02-21-2020 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big 10 Proposal Would Allow Anyone To Transfer Anywhere Without Sitting Out a Year - quo vadis - 02-21-2020 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.