Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC
(03-21-2020 05:45 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 05:38 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 09:43 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Which gets back to my point. If they have distinct contracts, first they approve the MWC-without-Boise contract.

Which is worth a lot less than the MWC-With-Boise contract. Taking the December articles about the MWC contract negotiations as mostly accurate ($20M a year from CBS, $15M from Fox, Boise home games in a separate deal), and comparing them to the $45M a year that the combined MWC-Boise contract brings in, the 6 Boise State football games are valued at about $10M.

Quote:Then they approve a payout plus Boise State Bonus. They can approve that independently, and if it pays the Boise State Bonus, then Boise State cannot block it.

Then when the Boise State contract is handed out, they approve it contingent on the money going into performance pools, and Boise State only getting any share in excess of it's Boise State Bonus in the main contract.

Boise State can veto that. OK, so they aren't on TV. But they can't block the "rest of the MWC" contract, so the rest of the MWC IS on TV.

Yeah, for a lot less money. And Boise would be exiting the MWC as soon as possible, devaluing the rest-of-MWC deal because you lose the 4 Boise road games.

(02-10-2020 09:51 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 09:43 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(02-10-2020 09:03 AM)panite Wrote:  By 2026 when the next contract comes up the AAC will have straighten out their problem with or without the wavier, or with or without a change in the rule for the Championship Game.

Which gets back to my point. If they have distinct contracts, first they approve the MWC-without-Boise contract. Then they approve a payout plus Boise State Bonus. They can approve that independently, and if it pays the Boise State Bonus, then Boise State cannot block it.

Then when the Boise State contract is handed out, they approve it contingent on the money going into performance pools, and Boise State only getting any share in excess of it's Boise State Bonus in the main contract.

Boise State can veto that. OK, so they aren't on TV. But they can't block the "rest of the MWC" contract, so the rest of the MWC IS on TV.

Can SDSU convince the majority of the MWC to play hardball like that? I don't know and wouldn't be prepared to speculate.

But the idea that "Boise State has an agreement so the MWC has no points of leverage" is just not true. Boise State doesn't just need the money. They also need to be on TV, or else their brand just wilts away.

Yes, even if courts say that the $1.8m bonus is a perpetual thing, that doesn't mean that either side can't try to get the other to agree to change it, including using leverage in the contract negotiations. There is no clause in the $1.8m bonus deal that says neither side will ever ask the other to change it, LOL. Boise can try and use whatever leverage they have to try and boost it, and the MW can do the same to erode or eliminate it. The only thing the clause means is that for that $1.8m to change, you have to get the other party to agree to it.

This time around, the MW seemed to vote on the entire package at the same time. IMO that was an error, because lumping the Boise deal in with the "rest of MW" deal effectively gives Boise a veto over the whole package.

The MW should have two separate votes, one for the Boise deal and one for the "rest" deal. That way, Boise can't hold the rest of the conference's deal hostage to what they want in their deal. And that two-vote approach is totally justifiable, as Boise themselves insist that their deal be negotiated separately.

If the Mountain West shows that degree of bad faith, Boise has a pretty good shot at getting a court to declare that since the Reentry Agreement has been violated, the home game TV rights revert to Boise State, who can sell them directly to TV and not share the proceeds.

Why would that be? Boise agreed and modified the term sheet to be 1.8. The Mountain West has no obligation to increase it. If Boise wants to break the agreement and leave then so be it. If neither side can come to an agreement then what happens? Do Boise games go dark for a year?

That was my mistake--i was reacting to the idea that the MWC just keep Boise's games on the shelf or something.

It's been a while since I posted that, so I do not remember details
03-22-2020 06:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC - YNot - 01-22-2020, 02:14 PM
RE: Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC - johnbragg - 03-22-2020 06:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.