Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC
(01-30-2020 12:40 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 11:59 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  I googled up the bolded part and found Idaho TV station news article that includes the statement.

TLDR: Boise likes the TV deal, doesn't want friction with Fox. But if part of this deal is that Boise is giving up their rights under the Re-Entry Agreement, then Boise State is going to the mattresses.

Quote:The new television agreement brings many benefits to the Mountain West, and we are looking forward to a new relationship with CBS and FOX. When the league set out to negotiate a new television deal, it was looking for three things – additional revenue for its member institutions, earlier kick times and exposure for both the league and its schools.

From a revenue standpoint, equal share tripled for all members of the conference, including Boise State. Due to our location, later kickoffs are going to be a part of any TV deal. FOX agreed to kick no later than 7:45 p.m., and between the two partners, they have agreed to move a maximum of 10 games per season off of Saturday.

ESPN has been a great partner of Boise State – and the Mountain West – for a long time, and we had some hesitation about moving away from that relationship. However, the terms and value offered to the Mountain West by FOX were better. We feel that our new partner is committed to helping Boise State continue to grow our brand and raise our institutional profile across the nation.

The Mountain West stated that this was the last time our deal would be negotiated separately. However, Boise State’s decision to join the conference was predicated on a number of negotiated provisions, including the right to separately negotiate material terms of media rights relating to our home games. This is stated in our conference agreement and cannot be changed by any vote of the membership or conflicting agreement. We will not support any change to this provision and are in the process of weighing our options to move forward.

Yes. While the excerpted part quoted earlier might imply approval on Boise's part, the entirety of their statement, coupled with their timely filing of a lawsuit, suggests otherwise.

I'm not sure how a court is going to look upon the linkage of the TV contract to the rest of the Boise STate/MWC relationship. If there is something in writing by Boise approving of the contract, without strongly linking that approval to maintaining Boise's special status, I'm not sure Boise can use threatening the contract as leverage--at all. Boise isn't unhappy with the TV contract, they're unhappy with the MWC moving to end Boise's special status. And Fox (and CBS) have nothing to do with that.

Quote:The other members of the MWC are entirely within their rights to decide, in accordance with their bylaws, who can be a member. The reentry agreement cannot, based on judicial precedent, be deemed to be an agreement in perpetuity. And, since no shorter period of time was specified in that agreement, I see no reason why the MWC cannot vote to cancel it.

However, if they were to do so, it would seem incumbent on them to not hold Boise to any exit penalties should such decision cause the Broncos to leave. In effect, voting to cancel the agreement could be deemed as establishing the length of Boise's and the league's commitment to each other, not just the league's commitment to Boise.

I think the MWC schools think they can have their cake and eat it too. They want Boise in the MWC, as an equal member. I don't think they're serious about kicking Boise out and seeing what a no-Boise TV contract looks like.

(01-30-2020 01:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 12:40 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 11:59 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  TLDR: Boise likes the TV deal, doesn't want friction with Fox. But if part of this deal is that Boise is giving up their rights under the Re-Entry Agreement, then Boise State is going to the mattresses.

Yes. While the excerpted part quoted earlier might imply approval on Boise's part, the entirety of their statement, coupled with their timely filing of a lawsuit, suggests otherwise.

I think that hinges on exactly what was said, in writing, and when. According to Boise State's complaint, when Thompson & Co were discussing the contract with Boise, it was in the context of the TV consultant guy proposing to the membership an INCREASE in the Boise bonus. How intertwined were those discussions? I dunno. But from Boise's public statement quoted upthread, they're happy with their games on Fox/FS1, with no kickoffs after 7:45, with the amount of weeknight games etc. They have no complaint about the Fox (or CBS) contract, except as a package-deal with the MWC trying to void the Re-Entry Agreement.

Quote:The other members of the MWC are entirely within their rights to decide, in accordance with their bylaws, who can be a member. The reentry agreement cannot, based on judicial precedent, be deemed to be an agreement in perpetuity. And, since no shorter period of time was specified in that agreement, I see no reason why the MWC cannot vote to cancel it.

However, if they were to do so, it would seem incumbent on them to not hold Boise to any exit penalties should such decision cause the Broncos to leave. In effect, voting to cancel the agreement could be deemed as establishing the length of Boise's and the league's commitment to each other, not just the league's commitment to Boise.

Right. If the Mountain West schools want to end Boise's special status, they can follow the procedure in the MWC bylaws to vote Boise out.

Quote:If you go back to the December time frame when the meetings in question were held---the reporting would tend to indicate exactly what Boise is saying. The reports leaking out say the deal has been accepted, but that it apparently doesnt include the separate Boise rights. Shortly after the reports surface, the MW actually comes out and says no deal has been accepted yet. So--it sounds like the reporting coming out at the time would tend to mirror the type of vote described in the Boise complaint.
http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporter...n-annually

The December reporting was sketching out $35M a year total, $20M from CBS and $15M from Fox, with Boise having a separate deal. The January announcement was for $45M a year, which would slot in reasonably with Fox getting Boise's package for an additional $10M per year.
01-30-2020 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC - YNot - 01-22-2020, 02:14 PM
RE: Boise State Lawsuit against the MWC - johnbragg - 01-30-2020 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.