Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which OOC rivalry would Oklahoma keep if they joined the Big Ten?
Texas
Oklahoma St
Both
Neither
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Which rival would Oklahoma keep?
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
RE: Which rival would Oklahoma keep?
(01-13-2020 05:25 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 04:48 PM)Realigned Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 04:09 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 03:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  [quote='BePcr07' pid='16608095' dateline='1578945325']
The PAC really flubbed by not taking Oklahoma and Oklahoma St when they had the chance. That would’ve really given them some leverage.

What chance did they have? To take just those two? Or to take them with others? Just those two schools by themselves don't do much to solve any of the PAC's problems. I don't really recall any scenario in which the PAC goes to 14 with those two, or to 12 without Colorado and Utah.

I believe it was to go to 14 with the Oklahoma schools. I don't have an article ready to share but if someone could provide a link, I'm confident it was almost a thing. I wasn't saying the Oklahoma schools by themselves added much but it would've provided some leverage. Even if Texas was not in play, adding - perhaps - Kansas St and Texas Tech would've be tolerable with Oklahoma.

PAC
North: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St
West: California, Stanford, USC, UCLA
South: Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado
East: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas St

The Pac 12 considered and rejected adding the Oklahoma schools.

/https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/12/28/hotline-newsletter-in-an-alternate-universe-its-the-pac-14-future-bowl-options-hello-hollywood-park-herberts-return-and-more/

The way I read that article, it's little more than the kind of "what if" fantasy speculation that is pervasive on sites like this one. Somebody floated a trial balloon, and it got shot down quickly.

The PAC appears to have understood that there wasn't anything in it for them. In all likelihood, OU and OK State probably realized there was nothing in it for them, either. This would not have been a "win-win". It would have been a "lose-lose", which is why it went nowhere. To say that the PAC had a chance to get those two schools suggests that the schools would have considered it - maybe even wanted it. I doubt that was the case.

President Boren from OU was was very vocally courting the PAC 12 and pushing for just the two Oklahoma schools at one point (don't remember the date) when OU was particularly fed up with UT. I don't think it got any traction with the PAC 12 due to a combo of Larry Scott's inept leadership and the PAC 12 members' reasonable desire to include the State of Texas in any further expansion.

I don't see how Bedlam could be preserved in both OU and UT went to the B1G without OU agreeing to only play 6 home games in years they played the Pokes in Stillwater, which wouldn't happen. Maybe if the NCAA allows a 13th regular season game.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2020 09:14 AM by CarlSmithCenter.)
01-14-2020 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which rival would Oklahoma keep? - CarlSmithCenter - 01-14-2020 09:07 AM
RE: Which rival would Oklahoma keep? - Mav - 01-18-2020, 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.