Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why doesn't Marshall return to the MAC & reduce travel & more than double their tv $?
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Why doesn't Marshall return to the MAC & reduce travel & more than double ...
(02-05-2020 04:34 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I'd like to know from fans of MAC teams how they feel about late season MACtion. I haven't seen the numbers (feel free to provide), but it seems like there is a trade off of attendance (i.e., ticket sales, concessions, etc.) for exposure (and TV revenue)for all those late season non-Saturday games. Is it worth while?

Also, it SEEMS like bringing in a Marshall, and JMU, and/or a North Dakota State (football only) would be a net positive, but I know less about the MAC than you would.

Share your thoughts, please.

It takes a bite out of attendance, without a doubt, but in terms of actual numbers, not as much as some people make out. These are schools in the Great Lakes region, after all ... there's a lot of "I WOULD attend, BUT" attendance claims that when faced with a bitter cold or rainy late November Saturday would in reality turn into staying home. I was in Marching Band in HS in central Ohio, and the Friday Night Lights enthusiasm in that part of the country is stronger in September than November for very good reason.

And while we can't run a truly controlled experiment to see, I think the opportunity to be on ESPN during the #MACtion period is, on balance, good for recruiting.

IMNSHO, the MAC should make the best of what it has and organize a "Rivalry Weekend" for the 3rd Saturday of October. Get the crowds in the stands to the extent possible when the weather better.

As far as bringing in Marshall, you can't add a school against their will, and Marshall is better off in CUSA East than MAC East, so it's a moot point.

As far as bringing in NDSU, if they move to Milwaukee or any point south or east of there, sure ... but as long as they are in North Dakota, it's too far away.

As far as JMU as a #14 add, if there's a #13, JMU wouldn't be the worst #14. But since there isn't a #13 ... another moot point.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2020 07:17 PM by BruceMcF.)
02-05-2020 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why doesn't Marshall return to the MAC & reduce travel & more than double ... - BruceMcF - 02-05-2020 07:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.