Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Football independence?
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
(01-07-2020 04:39 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(01-07-2020 02:44 PM)esayem Wrote:  I don’t see why a single G5 deserves an auto-bid in the eyes of the P5. If the P5 creates the playoff, they don’t need to make any concessions because it’s an invitational. There has been a clear sub-division between the P5 and the G5 in FBS.

Quo made an excellent point, why should UCF with an easier schedule have more of a playoff opportunity than Florida, with an SEC schedule?

The most likely thing I see happening is a clause where a G5 champ is higher ranked than a P5 champ and “steals” the bid.

I’m all for an NCAA sanctioned FBS playoff—one thing the NCAA is good for is determining champions—I just find it highly unlikely at this point. They needed to get it done in the 80’s and failed.

True, esayem, the P5 leagues would not think the G5 "deserves" a spot in an eight-team playoff. If one were offered it would 1. have to be earned, say, with 12 wins minimum and a top 15 finish (if no G5 team qualifies, no team goes) and 2. be due to pressure from fans, politicians and other entities that have a stake in seeing as much "inclusiveness" in the playoff as possible. It's the same basic concept as the "best" G5 team going to a NY6 bowl each year. The P5 doesn't accept it because it "likes" the arrangement. It accepts it because it "has to play nice" and views the arrangement as the lesser of two evils.

Now, if we get a six-team playoff, there will be no chance of a G5 inclusion.

I like the 6 team set up if we must expand the playoff. 5 Auto Bids for the P-5 and one wildcard.
01-07-2020 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete - domer1978 - 01-07-2020 04:42 PM
RE: [split] Football independence? - Wedge - 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.