Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Football independence?
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete
(12-27-2019 02:40 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(12-27-2019 02:08 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  If this pans out for UConn, we might enter a post-conference era where we have 20 or more independents. There isn't enough money at the G5 level to justify conference affiliation unless you really feel at home in your conference.

Eh, I don't think it'll be some huge exodus because the flip side is that you need somewhere to actually go to. The MAC is compact and coherent enough to be protected from any of this sort of realignment, and the MW is the only game in town out west outside of the PAC, so unless Boise wants to try to load up on PAC/B12 schools BYU-style I don't see anyone coming out of there. The AAC has established itself well enough I don't see anyone jumping ship for a non-football conference that isn't the Big East, and that door's closed. You're basically looking at schools on the fringes of CUSA or the SB. Could ODU and/or Charlotte cast eyes at the A10? Maybe, but that's about it.

If there's growth in the number of independents, I think it comes from a single-digit number of FCS schools.

Agreed. You still need a place to park your olympic sports and not many schools have that readily available.

ODU and Charlotte back to the A10 with football as an independent is more viable than it was 5 years ago, but would either school benefit much from doing so?

What other schools would beneift from football independence?

It would be nice if independence became a viable option again, but I doubt many use it
12-27-2019 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UConn's 2020 schedule almost complete - solohawks - 12-27-2019 02:56 PM
RE: [split] Football independence? - Wedge - 01-09-2020, 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.