WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enrollment declines - WMU dropping, CMU hemoraging
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Enrollment declines - WMU dropping, CMU hemoraging
The days of the state universities replacing traditional colleges and being everything to everybody are over with. State universities need to get entirely out of the 'classical education' field and be what they really are-trade schools for career seekers.

That means they should only offer majors in fields that translate into getting an occupation-Engineering, Medicine, Law, Accounting, Business, Teaching-something tangible that promises a good paying job to offset the cost of higher education. In other words, to justify the cost of 4 years learning your trade.

Non-core electives should be done away with. You go to university to learn a trade, not to get exposure to humanities or whatever. That's up to you on your own, if you have the interest or desire.

I have 3 degrees in Electrical Engineering and have been gainfully employed for 44 years-since I left WMU in 1976. Never been laid off and picked up two more degrees in my spare time. I have NO PROBLEM admitting I learned a trade at Western. Sure, I used a slide rule and calculator instead of a welding probe or plumbing tools, but it's still a trade.

I have an interest in classical education and i thought once I retire to take classes in those topics-History, Philosophy, writing, etc.. All those classical college oriented fields that I missed focusing on a technical field. But I have NO REGRETS learning my trade at Western-and that is what state universities should focus on going forward. Students don't go to WMU or CMU to 'float' or party anymore because it's simply too costly. They focus on learning a career.

And leave the classical education for traditional colleges, like Albion, Calvin, Hope and Hillsdale. There will still be folks who seek a traditional Liberal Arts education-maybe they come from affluent families, or their family owns a business so they are assured employment when they finish school, or whatever. There will always be enough folks to fill those slots, but it'll probably remain a small segment of higher education just as it was a small segment of folks who went to college before the big state universities were founded.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020 11:50 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
01-06-2020 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enrollment declines - WMU dropping, CMU hemoraging - BroncoPhilly - 01-06-2020 11:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.