MWC TV deal with Fox Sports and CBS
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: MWC TV deal with Fox Sports and CBS
(01-17-2020 06:21 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 03:07 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  
(01-13-2020 02:46 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(01-11-2020 04:13 AM)ColumbusCard Wrote:  still dont see how a deal that nets teams $3-$4 million a year less than their perceived closest competitor erases all talk of potential MWC defection to the AAC. Especially considering requisite renegotiating of the AAC's contract such a defection would cause.

There is no talk of MWC defection to the AAC. That is board fantasy talk. For a school like San Diego State, they just got an increase in TV revenue from $1.1 million per year to $3.9 million. Boise State just got an increase from $2.9 million to $5.7 million. This helps a lot and they still have their Tier 3 rights to decide on, which could bring more revenue. Plus, their deal is only for six years. They could end up with two six year deals that are equal to or better than the AAC 12 year deal.

I don't see the MWC in competition with the AAC. The MWC is in a different time zone, a different region of the country. The AAC contract is good for the AAC, that model was not going to work for the MWC. The revenue per school of $7 million per school per year is good. The length of the agreement and being all-in on ESPN would not work for the MWC.

The MWC deal does not need to be dollar-for-dollar with the AAC deal. They just needed a significant increase in revenue and they achieved that. The real question, is it better to be all-in with ESPN or all-out with ESPN? I personally think it is better to be with ESPN, as the AAC is, but I could be wrong. Or it may not matter at all. I am going to be interested to see how that plays out for the MWC.

Yeah BSU would likely be target #1 and movement isn’t likely when Boise’s payout is around 500k or less off of what the AAC likely gets over the life of the MWC contract (shorter term and therefore AAC number has more years of escalating payouts boosting it up)

AAC is ahead but travel cost would eat most of that gap up.

I don't think Boise would be #1 target of AAC at all. AF, would be and maybe Col State. Boise is a national brand but are in a small market.

The AAC should take BSU in a heatbeat over AF. BSU has done what in the history of recent CFB compared to the service academies.
01-19-2020 12:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MWC TV deal with Fox Sports and CBS - sierrajip - 01-19-2020 12:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.