Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville?
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville?
A little history lesson and then my two cents.

First, TCU was the first school invited. In addition to its football success and presence within the existing B12 footprint, TCU was available immediately. It had already given notice to the MWC so it could move to the Big East, but the additional exit fee payable to the Big East did not limit TCU's ability to join immediately.

UL and WVU, on the other hand, were contractually bound to the Big East until the 2014 season. The B12 needed new members to begin play immediately, in 2012. UL was an early favorite to get the invite, as travel to Louisville would not present a significant issue as compared to Morgantown, WV. However, UL was not willing to shoot its way out of the Big East. WVU, recognizing that the B12 may be the last train out of town, was willing to shoot its way out. To my mind, this willingness tipped the balance to WVU. After multiple lawsuits, including one in which the Big East sought to enjoin WVU from leaving, WVU managed to negotiate an early exit from the Big East to allow it to begin play in the B12 in 2012.

Having said this, in my mind, the B12 should have invited both UL and WVU, perhaps waiting for WVU to negotiate its early departure before inviting UL. This would have provided a much needed travel partner for WVU, as well as adding another strong brand. To get back to 12, I would have invited BYU as football only. BYU had been an earlier target by the B12, but the conference and BYU were unable to reach agreement regarding various issues, including Sunday play for other sports.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020 03:35 PM by orangefan.)
01-09-2020 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Its fall of 2010 and B12 is losing 4 members. Why not add WV @ Louisville? - orangefan - 01-09-2020 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.