Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019 M Basketball CAA Non Conference
Bookmark and Share
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
RE: 2019 M Basketball CAA Non Conference
(12-01-2019 10:49 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 10:19 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Here's all I care about, so we don't devolve into an endless debate. Continuity is the key to success. We cannot switch styles every 5 years and have a sucessful program that is consistently at the top of the CAA. We also are not going to retain a coach that has that kind of success. So, all we CAN do is promote the assistant of a successful coach OR hire a coach who is from the same coaching tree/philosophy when we succeed The Wainright to Brownell handoff was textbook on how to build a midmajor program. If we hadn't been spoiled by our success(regardless of how Brownell left), we would have hired one of our assistants under Brownell. No telling where we would be right now had we followed this simple formula.

Unfortunately, we didn't learn from the last failed experiement when we "went a different direction" when Brownell departed, and ended up with a decade of failure. Keatts came along a brought instant success with a proven strategy. He only stayed three years and we had an opportunity to hire his assistant...and didn't. Again, we chose to "go a different direction", and didn't interview a single coach that would maintain the strategy that took us to the NCAA tournament back to back. And here we are again. Two years already wasted, a third year looking like a waste, and who knows how many more years before we climb out of this hole. We don't just take steps back, we fall off the cliff when we switch styles following success. It may be too late to right this ship, so we can only hope for two things.

One. Somehow, some way, McGrath figures this out and we get back on track. I don't think he's gone after this year, but 2020-2021 will be a must win year.

Two- McGrath fails and we are faced with another hire. Do we learn from our mistakes or repeat them? We will have to hire a coach from a defensive minded system. UVA or Louisvillle/Texas/FSU. I don't care which one, but that is where we have to go. We cannot afford another Benny/Buzz/McGrath run and gun style with no backbone of defense.

This is all fair and wraps up the moot points rather well. Even with our minor differences in opinion I agree with all of this from a larger, strategic view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The huge difference with Brownell vs other assistant coaches is that Brad was the Xs and Os man with Wainwright as the head coach. So we were basically running a Brownell system with Wainwright as the HC. There was a guarantee that not much, if anything, would change with the passing of the torch. I've seen many assistant coaches make big changes with their own ideas when they took over. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it wasn't. I don't see us ever being in a win win situation again like we were with Brownell. And even then our admin, along with a few money boosters ruined that. I believe if it wasn't for those POSs, we would have continued the Brownell coaching tree with at least some reasonable success. And we would have never plunged into the depths of hell for 10 years.
12-01-2019 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019 M Basketball CAA Non Conference - SEA33HAWK - 12-01-2019 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.