Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) ***
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) ***
Another thing I find concerning is throughout all the preseason interviews you heard Dooley and the assistants in interviews hyping up how good newcomers like Baruti, JJ Miles, Robinson, and even a freshman Suggs have looked but you heard very little about Newton and Curtis. What little was said about them was stuff like they are talented but still growing and maturing, all the types of coach speak for these aren't guys you should expect a lot out of early. Then we have the secret scrimmage against State and the talk out of that was we out rebounded them by a pretty wide margin but turned it over a ton and they won fairly comfortably. The turnover part was a little surprising to me as I kinda have Jackson pegged as a guy who doesn't have the upside of Robinson but he's an older guy with some ACC experience and should be at the very least a capable ball handler. We find out later he didn't play in that scrimmage and it was just the 2 freshman PG's and then I'm thinking to myself "well yeah, of course, we turned it over a lot it was 2 freshman and not even being hyped up very much as being ready to play." In like the last week or so we've finally heard Dooley in some interviews saying how good Newton is looking, right at the same time it's being leaked that both Robinson and Jackson are "week to week" with their injuries. Week to week is way different than day to day. You could easily be talking they could be ready to play next week or not ready till December. Dooley was saying how much Newton has come along and grown in recent weeks in an interview the other day, and it could very well be true, or the cynic in me is thinking he could be trying to build his confidence publicly because he knows like it or not Newton is the starting PG for a while. I sure hope it's the former, because if it's the latter and Newton is a guy who in an ideal world wouldn't be playing right now it could be big trouble against what is an awful schedule in terms of SOS but unfortunately has only 2 home games out of the 8 games in the month of November. Even in the interview where Dooley was starting to finally hype up Newton he also was very clear as soon as Robinson is healthy he's the starting PG, and he hasn't practiced in like 2-3 months, so Newton is clearly not playing at some crazy level.
10-30-2019 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - b0ndsj0ns - 10-30-2019 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.