Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill
(10-02-2019 02:07 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  How is it antitrust question if it’s amateur league? I just think that college sports is a unique situation that doesn’t fit neatly into anti-trust law. I mean, the NCAaa routinely arbitrarily bars students from playing in a “student athlete amateur league” because they already played 4 years. Every rule a league has for competitive balance looks monopolistic. Its hard for me to see how it’s not a competitive balance issue if it’s a amateur league that makes it clear there are no salaries.

A big issue here is who has the Power. In other cases, the NCAA has had the power, and has been sued by entities that wanted to change its behavior.

That's not the case here: California isn't begging the NCAA to change its rules, it has ordered its schools not to follow NCAA rules, and it has the power to do that.

And it looks like more states will soon follow suit.

So rather than the NCAA being in the Power position of being sued, it looks like it will be the entity that has to sue to overturn the actions of states that are barring their institutions from following its rules.

That has nothing to do with anti-trust on the part of the NCAA, one way or the other.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 02:50 PM by quo vadis.)
10-02-2019 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: California Schools Will Not Be Part Of The NCAA In 2023 If Newsom Signs The Bill - quo vadis - 10-02-2019 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.