Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question RE: 2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread
(12-22-2019 09:42 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-21-2019 08:12 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Dallas Keuchel to the White Sox for three years deal at $55.5MM, with a vesting fourth year that could take it to 4/$74MM? yuck. Keuchel was average-to-below in the half of a regular season he pitched for the Braves last year after all the hype. And he was terrible in the playoffs. Maybe he bounces back, but that contract amount and length looks like a huge mistake that could saddle the White Sox with an albatross in their rebuild.

This has been a crazy overspending offseason after a few more pragmatic ones the previous years.

Right now, much as I'd like him back, I'd say what Donaldson likely will get and contract length are just not worth the long-term downside, even if he has a good first year or two up front. I like him as a player, and his intangibles are very helpful to a team, but the prices are way too high this year, and it seems like teams would be better off looking for turnaround candidates that are much lower cost and lower risk.

Also, trading for Kris Bryant, much as I'd like to, seems like it would also come at too high a cost in money and prospects--unless part of the deal was for him to agree in advance to a longer term extension deal as part of the trade.

These are the kind of off-seasons that make me root for the Yankers to fall on their faces, especially to a smaller-market team.

Keuchel was slightly above average last year, pitching in only the 2nd half of the season(where the ERA's are higher).

I have no idea why this offseason turned so crazy.

He was terrible, especially after all the hype pre-signing. Braves would have done just as well (and saved big bucks) by going withy one of their youngsters again, or plugging Newcomb back in the rotation and plugging anyone in the bullpen. Keuchel was and is overrated. White Sox seem to have made a big blunder.

Brooks' post above on this page gives good reasons for the spending this year and last year's comparative lack.
12-23-2019 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread - GoodOwl - 12-23-2019 05:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.