Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: 2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread
(12-09-2019 12:18 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-09-2019 12:01 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  I know the Dodgers are in on Cole, and I know THEY knew these numbers were where they'd be. Unless they're willing to throw this kind of cabbage at both Cole AND Rendon (and I'm under no impression they're willing to do that), I think I'd rather they go all in for Rendon then bring in Bumgarner. Yeah, as much as I hate guy as a Giant he's competitive as hell and I think it'd be great to have him in the Dodgers clubhouse. It'd be like when they brought in Gibson in 1988.

do you really think the Dodgers would add 55+ m in payroll? I know they'd deal a guy like Pederson- but I don't see you guys going way over the threshold..

Well, their history the last few seasons says no, and we've got that report that management was telling prospective investors they planned to stay below. But the team has refuted that was a policy, so... I think there are *some* reasons to believe this might be the year they go over the threshold:
1) They can no longer say "we've been doing as well as possible; we're getting to the NLCS or WS every year; the trend is good." I think everyone is clear that SOMETHING has to change.
2) Statements from the FO and reports in the press (lots of them) keep confirming the Dodgers are legit participants in going after Cole, Strasburg, Rendon. It doesn't feel like they're just making the effort for show.
3) Payroll is comfortably under the threshold right now. Including arb estimates they've got 39 on the roster at a cost of $147MM and with all the other costs they're at a competitive balance payroll of $164MM. Get rid of Pederson and they're at $146MM. Furthermore, next year they're shedding more payroll: Justin Turner ($16MM). They could afford to go over this year by a bit and still be under next year.

Of course it's hard to write all this without thinking there's a lot of wishful thinking in there. Friedman hasn't yet shown me that he's willing to throw tons of cash at front line free agents (who aren't already Dodgers) so the next time he does it will be the first time. And there's this, which was published yesterday:

Quote:I don’t feel like we need to shake things up just to shake things up. I actually think this was as focused, committed and driven a group as I’ve been around. So I don’t feel like we need to shake up to change the complexion of our roster in terms of personality or talent. But we’re open to exploring different ways to increase those chances.

Please, please, please let that be a negotiating tactic.
12-09-2019 12:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019-20 MLB Off Season/Hot Stove Thread - Brookes Owl - 12-09-2019 12:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.