Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(07-09-2020 11:17 AM)mrbig Wrote:  This is rough, but bear with me. Or bare with me if you want to wait until the 13th. DC is unique and I think it is either disingenuous or intellectually lazy to pretend like it isn't.
1 - in its 200+ year history, have DC residents ever been governed by a state government or state-like government?
2 - in its 200+ year history, have DC residents every been residents of a neighboring state?
3 - does Congress always have the best interests of DC residents in mind when it governs DC?
4 - are DC residents represented in Congress in a way that makes Congressional members responsive to the concerns of DC residents?
5 - should DC residents have a state-like government or be part of a state government that they elect?
6 - should DC residents get to choose whether they prefer the status quo, whether they want their own state government, or whether they want to join Maryland?
To me, the answers for 1-4 appear to be "no" so the answers to 5 & 6 are "yes". Congress doesn't represent DC or DC residents, it represents the whole country. DC residents don't have, but deserve to have, a state-like government that they elect (or have some part in electing). Thus, DC residents should have the option of keeping or rejecting the status quo. If they want to keep the status quo, statehood or repatriation should not be forced on them. If they reject the status quo, they should have the option to form their own state or join a neighboring state. If they prefer to join a neighboring state, both that neighboring state and Congress must approve the decision. If they prefer to form their own state, it must be approved by Congress.

I'd say....
1) No... but if you want to change that, then all possibilities come into play.
2) Not simultaneously which is what I think you mean... what difference does that make?
3) No.... but they don't have the best interests of ANY single area in mind when they govern. That's the whole point of Congress. They all have SOME interest in DC, which generally isn't true of any other place in the nation.... maybe NYC.
4) Yes... because Congress is frequently a resident of DC, as are their staff and all supporting entities. There are something like 150,000 civilian Federal Employees in DC, not to mention those who support them (and their families)... almost none of whom would be there if Congress weren't there.

I honestly can't believe that you said 'no' to this.... because if nobody were responsive to their needs... how would they be among the 'better' areas?

5) Define state-like. They certainly have a fully functioning government.

6) Meh... It's been 200+ years... People knew what the situation was when they moved there. As you note, it's a fairly small area and there is plenty of transit... you could move a few miles (often a few blocks) and be represented if that's what you chose to do. Nobody moved there under false pretenses.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 09:46 AM by Hambone10.)
07-10-2020 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - Hambone10 - 07-10-2020 09:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.