Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(04-28-2020 09:28 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-28-2020 06:44 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 08:39 PM)mrbig Wrote:  So why would it occur to me that a random (in the legal sense) west Texas attorney would know a bunch of SF ADAs from the early-90's?
Just trying to figure out what your rules are.

Big, where I am coming from is that Tanq said that I knew a lot of people, several of whom I quote on here, and before doing so again maybe I need to tell you my background so you will believe me.

Personal history:
Rice undergrad, math/econ major, changed major when I read Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom in junior year, and thought, "This makes more sense than anything else I've read since coming to Rice." Didn't get my classical liberal/libertarian views from Friedman as much as he simply enunciated what I believed.
Navy ROTC at Rice, served four years active, the most interesting people I met during that time would probably be Lloyd Bucher (CO of USS Pueblo when captured by NorKs), Bert Lance (aide to Jimmy Carter when we did a disaster response operation for the State of Georgia), or Will Rogers (later CO of the Vincennes when it shot down an Iranian "airliner," was CO of the ship that did the disaster response action).
Back to Rice, got master's degree in accounting and CPA, while back at Rice worked part time for a firm that shared office space with Jim Whitmire (Kathy's late husband).
Went into public accounting, audited primarily public companies in the oil patch, met John Connally and Mitt Romney within about 20 minutes of each other during this phase but didn't really get to know either one.
Moved to a consulting engineering firm, doing financial consulting to find ways for clients to pay for projects, worked with one of Hillary's law partners on a deal for the City of Texarkana (bond counsel for the Arkansas side) and got lots of juicy gossip, also worked with Houston mayors Jim McConn and Whitmire again.
Went out on my own doing accounting and consulting, did a lot of expert witnessing, passed Daubert as an expert in health care finance among other areas. Did a lot of regulatory and environmental work, picking up Ronnie and Peggy Paul as clients. Went to law school and passed the bar during this phase.
Graduated law school at a time when the economy was cratering, so instead of doing transactions work, ended up doing a lot of bankruptcy. Did a lot of bank workout work in conjunction with the 1990 crash.
When the economy came back, joined a bunch of long-time friends in a consulting company that did M&A, IT, outsourcing, and head hunting. Did more energy, health care, banking, and environmental work. We sold to a private equity firm, and I started teaching.
When I got the master's from Rice, I said that my goal was to be retired and teaching by the time I was 58. I started teaching in August and turned 59 in September, so I made it--barely.
Through all of the time in Houston--undergrad, grad, and professional, until started teaching--I was involved as a sports statistician for Rice, UH, SWC, Texas Rangers (while on assignment in Dallas), HS football playoffs, NCAA regionals, and other events, so I got to know a lot of sports people. I think that's what Tanq was referring to.

As far as people I have met:
Ron and Rand Paul - as noted above, Rand's brother Ronnie and his wife have been clients for 30 years. Sister Joy was partner in a OB/GYN clinic that was a client for several years. I get invited to Paul family weddings and other events such as a family showing of Atlas Shrugged III.
George HW and Barbara Bush - Worked on HW's congressional campaign as a Rice young republican, after coming back to Houston after the Navy, lived in Galleria area and attended St. Martin's
GWB - met him occasionally at St. Martin's, worked for Rangers TV while on assignment in Dallas, and had pregame dinner with him several times, knew mom and dad better than I knew him.

May be others, but that's a pretty quick synopsis. Based on my history, I feel pretty well qualified to opine on military, energy, environment, economy, and health care (though I defer to Hambone and Ruowls on the latter one).

I hope you now know where I'm coming from with sufficient clarity to understand the basis for my comments.

The people you knew at Enron was quite impressive. 03-wink And you knew James Dean's female lead in "Giant".
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2020 09:34 AM by tanqtonic.)
04-28-2020 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - tanqtonic - 04-28-2020 09:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.