Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(02-21-2020 10:14 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(02-21-2020 10:04 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(02-21-2020 09:30 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(02-21-2020 09:13 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(02-21-2020 08:36 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  No issue if you didn't find any of the finalists as quality films (though I'd be interested to hear why you didn't think The Irishman, Marriage Story, or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood weren't deserving - I saw those three and they were excellent)

I'm actually surprised that you've watched that many movies in such a short time.

Most movies are bad, and even the so-called good ones aren't as good as people say they are. With all the other opportunities that life offers, the products of Hollywood are a generally disappointing use of time. But, like many popular choices, they are an easy option to choose, and the choice comes with the comfort of knowing that one is doing what everyone else is doing.

I think I only saw one film in theaters in 2019, and the remainder were on Netflix or a cruise ship. If it hadn't been for the latter two, I wouldn't have seen any Oscar nominees this past year. Although, I do think 1917 is probably worth seeing in theaters, given how it was shot - a large format viewing is probably best.

And I'm not sure what to make of that last comment, but people have always enjoyed multimedia - be it works of art, books, comics, films, TV, etc. for many reasons besides them being easy or knowing that they're part of a group. Pretty snide comment about someones' potential interest/hobby.

I'm not sure why the last comment confuses you. When it comes to most things, most people are more conformist than discerning in their tastes. The fairly low average quality of movies, and their popularity in spite of that fact, proves that this general principle is at least equally true for movies. There is probably no industry that more starkly exemplifies the popular adulation of mediocrity, and the willingness to believe that what is mediocre but praised by others is actually good.

I understood what you said, but I think it's pretty snobbish to make a statement that clearly indicates you look down on those who enjoy movies - regardless of their qualities. No reason to belittle people because they enjoy movies for whatever reason they do.

Your comment just seems to come out of left field, because it doesn't criticize the industry, but rather the people who patronize it and enjoy films. Do you hold the same opinion of people who follow sports? I don't see much more value in spending X hours watching Rice football.

And to think you've criticized the left for being elitist and judgmental... As a well known poster on this board said recently - pot, look in the mirror.

News flash: criticizing the industry necessarily implies criticism of the people who are its fans and its lifeblood.

You are correct that I do not think highly of people who celebrate mediocrity. If taste and discernment are sins, I am guilty. On the other hand, I've certainly had my tastes criticized by others; I have been not infrequently insulted for liking baseball, women's sports, science, history, and vexillology, among other things.

And to think you have defended and excused your own and your fellow travelers' condescension toward others. As an even more well known person said, "Physician, heal thyself."
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2020 10:34 AM by georgewebb.)
02-21-2020 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - georgewebb - 02-21-2020 10:23 AM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.