2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(02-10-2020 11:53 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 01:18 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(02-09-2020 11:36 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I think Obama got more votes than he lost due to being black. JMHO.

But I think Buttigieg might lose more votes than he gains from being gay if he is the Dem nominee.

I base this on anti gay attitudes in two of the splinter groups that make up the Democratic base, blacks and Hispanics.

https://www.questia.com/library/journal/...des-toward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia...ommunities

I don’t think anybody is going to switch to Trump based on Pete’s gayness, but a lot of voters who would likely pull a straight Democratic ticket lever might stay home.

You may disagree.

For someone who accuses Dems of playing identities politics, you seem to be the only one on here who actively talks about identity politics...

Pete’s sexuality may turn off some voters and it may encourage others. I dont think it should matter to whether or not he gets the Dem nod or support if he happens to pull off the upset.

Should he get the nomination, I’m interested to see how his sexuality plays out in the media and the reaction from all sides - left and right.

I didn't take OO to mean that the identity politics necessarily should] matter, just that in today's climate they likely would.

As for Petie, I'd rather not have to see his sexuality playing out anywhere, though the media these days seems to like that kind of disorder. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that was just an unfortunate choice of wording.

I think I was pretty clear. Lad usually tries to interpret things for me so that I have to defend what I didn't say.

I think there is a good possibility, if Pete is the nominee, of a lot of black/Hispanic voters staying home. While I expect there will be some extra turnout from the gay community and the woke community, I doubt it will offset the stay home votes.

JMHO as an observer of the American political process.

On a personal basis, his gayness would have zero impact on my choices. Neither plus nor minus. I have had personal friends over 55 years who were gay. I expect I will again. Pete is not the worst choice in the Democratic horse race. I expect most Democrats to vote for whoever is at the head of their ticket, blindly, but yes, there will be some who will not vote for a gay man. they won't carry signs. they will just stay home.
02-10-2020 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - OptimisticOwl - 02-10-2020 12:07 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.