Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(02-04-2020 02:49 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Predictions:

if Biden is at 16% or less and in fourth, he is going to be in deep trouble.

if Warren scores a 2nd place, this might breathe some life into that campaign.

if Buttigieg rolls at 2nd or higher, or a close 3rd, he will become the darling of the 'NeverBernie' crowd.

if Sanders wins, this and NH will give him a huge 1-2 punch.. If The Bern nabs Iowa as a #1 he will be the frontrunner with 'the big mo' (as Papa Bush termed it)

I wasn't going to do predictions, but now you'e hooked me. I agree with Fountains that these are pretty good.

Biden - I think he ends up below 16% and in 4th (as you suggest). It hurts him a lot if the same thing happens in New Hampshire. If he can claw into the top 3 in New Hampshire, he can probably at least hold together his South Carolina firewall and hope to make waves on Super Tuesday based on name recognition. Problem is he is pretty tapped out of money. I think he ends up in 4th in New Hampshire and quickly starts dropping in the Nevada/South Carolina polls.

Warren - I think she ends up in 3rd, a few points behind Buttiegieg. She'll basically tread water with that result. She has the money to continue on and probably ends up in 3rd in New Hampshire.

Buttigieg - I think he loses the Iowa 1st vote by a couple points to Bernie, is very close to Bernie in the final vote (post-realignment), and wins the state delegate allocation (based on his strength in rural areas). He gets enough bounce to get at least 2nd in New Hampshire. After New Hampshire, he really needs Klobuchar and either Warren or Biden to drop out. He could really, really use some high profile endorsements heading into Nevada and South Carolina (particularly from a few minorities). If those things happen post-NH, I agree that he becomes the most viable anti-Bernie and we are off to the races. I'd find a debate with Bernie, Buttigieg, and Bloomberg to be fascinating.

Bernie - As I said above, I think he wins the 1st vote by a few percent. He has a core base of support that really loves him. But many of his supporters and surrogates are openly hostile to the other candidates and he's not many people's 2nd choice. If the anti-Bernie forces can consolidate quickly enough, I don't think he can win. If Warren drops out before Super Tuesday and endorses Bernie, that is his best chance. But I still think a lot of Warren supporters would move to Buttigieg over Bernie. Bernie is the dem version of 2016 Trump. He can be defeated if the anti-him forces consolidate quickly enough. If not, Bernie can win the nomination.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020 04:41 PM by mrbig.)
02-04-2020 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - mrbig - 02-04-2020 04:34 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.