Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(01-24-2020 05:14 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I see four viables at this point. Biden, Warren, Bernie, and Mayor Pete.

Warren and Bernie are the least politically incompatible with me. Maybe Bernie has an edge over Warren with me since, notwithstanding there is hardly a single issue I agree with him, at least I get the feeling that Bernie is a lot like me and just lets his viewpoints hang out there, warts and all. I actually respect Bernie on honesty scale, whereas I have little to no respect for Warren on that aspect.

If this were the Biden of '84 or so, I might be more inclined with Biden. But Slow Joe of '84 hasnt gotten much faster. And he kind of has lapsed from the 'real guy who leans union' to a guy who literally used his office of the VP to pitch investors for his son-in-law's and daughter's private company. The 'real guy' Joe has truly morphed in 'sleazy guy' in the last twenty years.

I saw a video of Mayor Pete (I still cannot spell his last name, sorry) that I was impressed with. The video was of the NYT editor interview re: to their then-upcoming endorsement. The smug asshat reporter tried to blindside Pete on his McKinsey days, and Pete literally told him that that was a a bunch of 'bullsh-t'

https://dailycaller.com/2020/01/16/pete-...ixing-nyt/

I dont read the DC, but this is the first piece that had the embedded video of the exchange.

Pete actually embodies at least a little more moderate aspects than any of the other 'to the far left NOW' lemmings. But, I dont know if his apex experience of Mayor of Indianapolis is really decent experience. To be blunt, starting with Obama, Im really tired of 'learning on the job' for the position at this point.

Quote:Wouldn't you rather have a less-horrible nominee on the chance a democrat beats Trump? So shouldn't you be hoping for a take-down? Or are you hoping for Bernie as the dem nominee because you think he would be the easiest for Trump to beat? My only warning on that is a lot of dems were hoping Trump would be the nominee, believing he would be the easiest to beat. Careful what you wish for!

All in all, since Texas really wont be in play, I cannot see myself voting for Trump. Amazingly, I too am tired of a loudmouthed narcissist in the office; two Presidents in a row that fit that profile is too many for me, four terms in a row with that profile makes me shudder.

But if it comes down to Texas in play, then Trump has already lost. If I had a gun pointed at my head with the command to pick Trump or any one of the 4 remaining D's --- I would probably pick Trump.

In all honesty, I am gobsmacked impressed with Trump's judicial picks.

Bernie is just inside of being an outright communist.

Warren isnt too far away. Both of those two have gone amazingly overboard on how much to give away with zero regard to the economic consequences, but Warren is more of scolding shrew.

Biden plays to far into the far-left; but seemingly one has to these days in the Democratic Party.

All in all, Mayor Pete would be the one I would vote for if I had to vote for any viable Democratic candidate. But when stacked against the Trump economy and the Trump judicial picks, I would pick Trump over Mayor Pete.

Mayor Pete is my favorite by far out of the 4. I'm not really interested in someone in their 70's. Being President is an extremely stressful, exhausting job (if they are doing it right). I think Pete is younger than ideal, but I would take that over 70+.

Putting aside the age issue, I like Pete's approach. He seems much more practical, rather than ideological. He'd rather move the ball forward 50% of the way in 10 issues than fight like hell to move the ball 100% of the way in 3 issues. Maybe that allows him to get a little consensus in this day of extreme partisan divides. Or maybe not, but I still like the more pragmatic approach to governing.

Pete was mayor of South Bend (population 102,000), not Indianapolis (population 872,000). That is obviously a concern, but he seems knowledgeable enough and smart enough to do the job, even if you don't necessarily agree with how he would do the job.
01-24-2020 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - mrbig - 01-24-2020 05:50 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.