Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(01-24-2020 02:09 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(01-24-2020 02:00 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(01-24-2020 01:07 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Lad...
You just responded to someone pointing out that in a nation that is roughly 50/50:
Ds outnumber Rs 9:1 as professors
D's donating outnumber Rs 95:1
40% of top LA colleges have NO registered R's
and some other studies that show the left bias that you acknowledge...

You then ask only about sociology courses?

The numbers imply that there may only be a few courses of study where you WOULDN'T get a liberal slant.... as opposed to merely sociology courses. I suspect many conservatives would be business courses, but I'm sure there are some liberals there as well. Given the overall numbers, I doubt it's 50/50. At the 40 top ranked liberal arts colleges (where they certainly would have business courses) there don't appear to be ANY.

Ham - you should read through a number of my other posts on this topic. There's two reasons I asked about sociology courses - it's been a topic that has been brought up repeatedly AND Tanq cited a paper specifically looking at sociology professors.

And I disagree fundamentally about the idea that someone's politics color their teaching for every course. Did you know your professors' political biases in each of the courses you took in med school?

First, Ham did an MBA, not med school.

Second, I think it is obvious that the example of mechanical engineering, med school, and mathematics arent ones typically susceptible to 'political speech' -- either the introduction of a political viewpoint or the prostletyzing thereof.

Third, I think we all agree that the science based courses really arent what we are talking about --- notwithstanding your continuous use of them as an exemplar.

I think the issue of those hard science/engi classes and degrees being exempt from political influence is one we are all in agreement on, but has been beaten to death at this point. I would suggest you try other avenues.

Ah, I always took Ham to have a medical background given a lot of healthcare insight he provided. Guess that's what happens when you assume.

But I don't get the rest of your response, as it relates to Ham. Obviously he didn't agree with that, or understand it, if he asked why I was focusing on sociology...

I'm not trying to beat that avenue to death, I'm trying to highlight that the avenues YOU beat to death (i.e. gender studies) don't actually influence a a majority, or likely even large minority, of the student body.

THAT is the issue - of the professors that teach in a manner where political influence can be observed - how many people are in their audience, and what percent of the student body does it make up?

Looking at Rice, in Fall 2019, 4,100 of the 7,800 students enrolled at Rice were in the School of Engineering or Natural Sciences. Humanities and Social Sciences accounted for ~2,000, but those schools have plenty of non-political majors like Sports Management, Art History, etc.
01-24-2020 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - RiceLad15 - 01-24-2020 02:17 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.