Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(12-04-2019 04:20 PM)mrbig Wrote:  So investment was being driven away when the rates were higher? I have seen some graphs showing that changes in business investment did not correlate at all to either increases or decreases in the capital gains tax rate. But I'm a total novice in the area.

Actually, it was. Not hugely, because a Peter Zeihan points out repeatedly, we have so many natural advantages that we can pretty much hold our own, no matter how badly we try to screw it up. But yes, there are opportunities lost because of tax differentials. We used to win those. Now we lose them. The graph you need to look at is how growth correlates not to the absolute rates in the US, but to US rates relative to the world.

Quote:I don't think you are giving doctors enough credit on this. As you might imagine, I know a lot of OBGYNs through my wife. None of them are in it for the money and none of them are in it to perform 3rd trimester elective abortions. Very, very, very, very. very few doctors would do that and your response assumes that the very, very, very few women who would want the procedure would have the means and ability to match up with one of those very, very, very, very, very few doctors. It is something that I think is so rare, it isn't worth legislating over. If you think those people are going to hell, then they will go to hell. The problem is that once you make a law, then the people applying the law can choose to apply it unfairly by questioning the medical judgment of doctors who were just trying to uphold the Hippocratic oath.

I think the vast majority of doctors are ethical people who will do the right thing. But vast majority is not 100%, and I'm quite certain that there are abortion mills that will take anyone for an elective abortion.

Quote:Well ... my comment wasn't about what "democrats" have called Trump or anyone else. My comment was about the language used by people on this board. Has anyone on the left used this kind of language toward conservatives or republicans on this board?

Yes, repeatedly. And often directed toward not just other candidates, but toward other posters on the board. I draw the line there. I would not call another poster on the board by such names. But I think public figures are fair game. And anyone who slept her way to the top with married Willie Brown deserves to be called derogatory sexual names.

Like OO, I'd prefer to have nice conversation over tea and crumpets. And I try to keep things on that level with other posters. There is one poster on the Memphis board that I have described as idiot savant, except I'm not so sure about the savant part any more. But that is after he has said many much worse things about me. But I agree with keeping it as civil as possible among members of the group. But I don't extend that to public figures.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019 04:45 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
12-04-2019 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 12-04-2019 04:43 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.