2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(09-07-2019 05:38 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(09-07-2019 05:19 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-07-2019 04:04 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(09-07-2019 03:33 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I still want to hear 93's justification about owners/executives vs player composition.

Seriously.

Someone that thinks that the pool of players is the sole area of expertise to translate to team sports management is one I really want to hear.

Either he believes that the sole source of team executive talent is the player base (which is utterly contradicted by the actual backgrounds of the executives), or thinks that the ratios in the player base should magically transform to ratios in management, without any connection to the player base.

I believe that years of systemic bias of contributed to the lack of a reasonable amount of front-office African-Americans in the NFL. What is your explanation for there only being two African-American head coaches in the NFL?

This article sheds some light on the situation: *edit* sorry... didn't copy the link and now I can't find it*

Pertinent segment:

"The Rooney Rule only applies directly to the two top jobs at an organization, head coach and general manager. It has not been officially extended to apply to offensive and defensive coordinators, or any of the other assistant coaching positions on staff. And lower down on the coaching ladder, bias remains rampant. In 2016, research from professors at Georgetown, George Washington, Emory and Iowa State University, found that white position coaches and assistants in the league are more than two times as likely to be promoted to coordinator than their black counterparts, regardless of background, experience, or performance.

This discrepancy is particularly blatant on the offensive side of the ball — which is a major problem, considering offensive-minded head coaching candidates are particularly sought after in today’s NFL. There are currently only two black offensive coordinators — Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Byron Leftwich of the Arizona Cardinals. In 2016, ESPN found that “80 of the NFL’s current 85 offensive coordinators, quarterbacks coaches and offensive quality control coaches are white, including all 37 with the word “quarterback” in their titles.” This past season, there were four black quarterback coaches throughout the league, including Leftwich, who was promoted to OC midway through the season."

Quote:One viewpoint is not supported by the facts, and one is just..... kind of stupid.

I really want to hear the whys and hows of the view that this discrepancy in the ratios is a basis for 'racial injustice'.

93, if you are just myna birding this because you heard it and it sounded cool, it is completely okay to say that.

If I am going to "myna bird" something that I don't really believe just to sound cool it won't be to impress the audience on the Kent Rowland Memorial Thread.

Quote: In fact if you do say that, I promise I wont respond to it, in any way, form, or fashion. I mean, this is the only rational explanation I can really think of, to be honest, for that statement.

But since you laid it out there, I really want to hear an explanation. Given the fact that the large majority of GMs in the NBA didnt play in the NBA, your statement about all the players looking around and saying 'something is rotten in Denmark' is significant, since you are either absolutely short on the factual basis, or perhaps you think that players are such a stupid subset that they think that the pool of players is in fact the 'starter' set and model for NBA management. And it was important enough for you to bring this up as an example. So yes, I really want to hear this.

It's tiring to have to continually correct your mistakes when it comes to what I said. I said all that in relation to the NFL and not the NBA. Perhaps it would apply to the NBA as well but I don't have as much knowledge of NBA front offices.

The GM trajectory and the head coaching position trajectories in the two leagues are very similar. Had you bothered to check out the facts you would realize this.

Professional playing experience is very poor pathway to coaching.
Professional playing experience is a very poor pathway to executive front office results.

But like the hardened progressive you continuously transmit, for some godforsaken stupid as mud reason you decide to make the player ratio the metric for filling these positions. Is it really too hard for you to fathom this?

So here is your fing homework:

4 GMs have at least a year of NFL play experience
5 HCs have at least 2 years of NFL play experience
2 OCs have any NFL play experience
4 DCs have at least 2 years NFL play experienc

Byron Leftwich and Eric Bieniemy come to mind. Are there really are only two offensive coordinators with any NFL player experience as you say?

Sorry, add O'Connell and Moore. I dont count Shula's one year year riding the bench and being cut the next.

Brings it to four. By the way you *are* welcome for the effort. You know, the effort you didnt bother to take on the background to begin with, nor did you fing bother to acknowledge. Considering you keep bleating about the ratio of race amongst players to the ratio of such positions as being such a strong hand on 'racial injustice', to be blunt you should have actually bothered to check the actual fing pathway to those positions from careers in the NFL.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2019 06:31 PM by tanqtonic.)
09-07-2019 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - tanqtonic - 09-07-2019 06:04 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.