Thread Closed 
2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
Fountains of Wayne Graham Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread
(09-05-2019 03:09 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(09-05-2019 03:02 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 09:57 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  But most people in all the agencies are good. I think it unfair to characterize them as Hispanic-hating Nazis running concentration camps.

I mean, I had a case where ICE had deported a US citizen and the ICE employee in the best position to realize the guy was a citizen: (1) didn't do what he was supposed to do to make this determination; and (2) really, truly, honestly didn't care at all that he had a large role in deporting a US citizen to a country where the guy had not lived since he was a toddler. So that's kind of a disgusting problem. And quite a few people in the ICE totem pole didn't seem to care either. I was a bit disturbed.

(09-04-2019 09:57 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I relate this to the people on the other side who want to abolish the IRS. They don't want to replace it.

All those people cheering when AOC says "Abolish ICE", what do they think they are cheering? A renaming of the agency and new agencies carrying out the same duties of catching and deporting illegals?

IMO, no.

Maybe that is what the crowds think abolishing ICE means - closing concentration camps.

But if abolishing ICE just means doing the same things under another name, what's the point? OTOH, if it means we won't be enforcing our borders anymore, isn't that just open borders in sheep's clothing?

I'm not sure most of the people chanting have thought it through in great detail. They believe ICE is a problem and that getting rid of ICE might help with a solution. Other agencies can carry out ICE's core duties without a lot of the negatives that have developed within ICE.

Again, it isn't something I'm advocating or supporting. But I don't think ICE as an agency should be sacrosanct. I also don't think any of the politicians who support the idea of abolishing ICE are for open borders or believe that ICE's core duties will be unfulfilled.

Do you think the people who yelled 'Down with the pigs' in '67 - '74 were merely wishing for a redistribution of various police departments' core duties to other city departments to carry out without a lot of the negatives that might have developed within those police departments?

Not sure what your point is here. Other agencies were doing what ICE does prior to 2003. We could simply break up ICE back into those constituent pieces and quash the toxic culture that has fermented there.
09-05-2019 03:40 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 Presidential Horse Race Thread - Fountains of Wayne Graham - 09-05-2019 03:40 PM
! - Rice93 - 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.