Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

59 pct of Republicans now think College is bad for America
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: 59 pct of Republicans now think College is bad for America
FBO: I feel the headline here is unnecessarily divisive. While 59% of Republicans say this, according to a cursory review of your post, over 50% of EVERYONE says this... which means that more than 40% of everyone else agrees.

So while it may slightly lean right, it's hardly a divisive opinion.

Rice University is a top 20 University. There are HUNDREDS of Universities, and more importantly... hundreds of degrees at those Universities. The most worthless degree at a bottom 20 University is undeniably, questionable in value at best.

I believe Republicans more than the average (like maybe 59% vs closer to 45% believe that there are some degrees that a decent number of people get... spending on occasion 6 figures to get... that are at best a hobby and not remotely worth the cost, certainly as compared to a vocational degree. The 'meme' is a barrista with 100k in school loans and a degree that is unnecessary to their profession, doesn't help them get a higher paying job to justify the education... and at least in some ways

I know I fairly frequently get applications from people who want to be paid more because they have a BA in a field unrelated to healthcare... than someone with an AA in a healthcare field. Sorry, but they will be paid less... at least for my jobs.

Continuing education and other self-improvement sorts of classes are often just as valuable and sometimes more valuable than SOME University courses and even some degrees. Certainly you'd agree that certificates in many IT courses are potentially vastly more valuable and less expensive than a degree in a field that doesn't lead to a job in the field of study?

I'm not saying college exists to give you a job, but I am saying that spending 100k on something not worth 100k in additional income over your life can easily lead to the expectation of higher wages because you have a degree (ANY degree) as opposed to a skill
12-30-2019 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 59 pct of Republicans now think College is bad for America - Hambone10 - 12-30-2019 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.