Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Curious... would you say your school's fan base overall has grown...
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Curious... would you say your school's fan base overall has grown...
(08-14-2019 01:15 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 12:45 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 12:27 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 12:15 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  
(08-14-2019 11:59 AM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  No, alone it doesn't, it was still a huge missed opportunity to continue building the fanbase and the program. Wrong leadership was in place who was content for Marshall to never rise up. Doc does have some WTF losses but he also got us back to competing and winning against P5's, something Snyder couldn't dream of. Every P5 we played under him was a blood bath.He is also playing in a much different conference than Snyder did, he could win every game now and not be given credit for much. Every P5 we played under Snyder was a blood bath. Fans get tired of that stuff.

So, then, what's your larger take on why fan enthusiasm at Marshall isn't running higher in the CUSA 3.0 era than previously?

Honestly, I know I may piss some of our conference brethren off, but there was no replacements that had name recognition out there. You can't replace ECU with ODU or Charlotte and expect it to be a wash. That was just an example and without naming other schools in our conference, I will leave it at that. Average fans that aren't following all of CFB saw these changes and wondered who the heck is that? Why was CUSA 2.0 exciting when we came in? is CUSA 3.0 just as exciting to an average fan? We on here, aren't average fans, we know who is who, how good they are and why we should care. Average Joe doesn't.

I think it's that and Doc's inability to win championships against teams people don't recognize.

His winning % against teams with a winning record is .300ish. He has an overall losing record when playing on the road. He's .500 on the road vs. G5. And has 1 title in 9 seasons. The pre-Christmas bowl wins just aren't doing it for people anymore.

He loses the games of consequence. The fan's patience is wearing thin.

Is that the fault of Doc or Marshall though? What is that percentage from say, 2013 to now? what was Bob's say the last couple of years? This is where I am different than a few fellow herd fans, I don't hold Doc's first couple of years against him, he needed time and recruiting to get his players in the system, not Snyder's players. How many conference brethren has Doc actually gotten to play, with winning records, that amounted to much? If we want a chance at a better coach, gonna have to pony up the $$$, how much would it take to draw a better HC than also can recruit?

I'd say that's Doc's fault. You are what your record says you are as Bill Parcells famously said. And I wouldn't really blame Snyder players for the first few years of Doc's tenure. He almost beat WVU with Snyder guys, but we all know what happened there. The cupboard wasn't bare. Snyder had some good players, he just couldn't coach them.

As for money for a better coach. Doc makes $755,000. That ballpark should be plenty for a young up and comer. PJ Fleck made $800K at Western Michigan. Gus Malzahn made $850,000 at Arkansas State.
08-14-2019 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Curious... would you say your school's fan base overall has grown... - MUsince96 - 08-14-2019 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.