Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This is what I think the CFB Playoff format should look like
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
RE: This is what I think the CFB Playoff format should look like
(08-09-2019 05:46 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(08-09-2019 04:14 PM)TTT Wrote:  8-team playoff.

Each Power 5 Champion is an AQ.

The highest ranked G5 Champion is an AQ.

The remaining two at-large seeds go to the highest ranked teams not already in as an AQ.

After the 8 team field is set, they are seeded by the CFB Playoff Committee for match-ups

If this was implemented last year, the 8-team playoff would've consisted of these teams (in no particular order):

Alabama (SEC Champs)
Clemson (ACC Champs)
Oklahoma (B12 Champs)
Ohio State (B10 Champs)
Washington (PAC12 Champs)
UCF (Highest ranked G5 Champion)
Notre Dame (highest ranked team not already in as an AQ)
Georgia (2nd highest ranked team not already in as an AQ - the last team in)

And under this scenario, you would've probably have seen these pods/match-ups:

1. Alabama vs. 8. Washington
4. Ohio State vs. 5. Notre Dame

2. Clemson vs. 7. UCF
3. Oklahoma vs. 6. Georgia

What do you think?

What you’re describing is what a lot of us here refer to as a 5-1-2 playoff and there is a fairly strong contingent that think it would produce the most controversy free, fairest playoff scenario.

I for one am a big fan of this model. NY6 bowls serve as quarter final sites, play the semis 7-10 days later, and the national title the Saturday of Pro Bowl Weekend.

No. One of the worst things for CFB right now is the weird 4 week delay between CCGs and CFP bowls. It just kills all momentum...and in a prime TV spot where the NFL regular season is winding down (but before the playoffs start). Put the quarterfinals midway between Dec 5 and New Year's...right around Dec. 18...and that gives two weeks to hype the Quarters...and then two more weeks to hype the semis. Perfect scenario.

And the 5-1-2 format would keep the controversy going...because those final two spots would become the discussion points. Does a 10-3 SEC team deserve the spot over a 11-2 Big 12 championship game loser? Does a 11-1 Big Ten team (that lost its division tie-breaker) get the last spot or an 11-2 Pac-12 title game loser?

But the "objective" data point ("CCG winners are IN no matter what") would legitimize the sport in a lot of casual fans' eyes.
08-20-2019 12:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is what I think the CFB Playoff format should look like - micahandme - 08-20-2019 12:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.