Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: UConn & AAC Agree to $17M Exit Fee
(07-30-2019 12:27 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 12:11 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 11:09 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 07:58 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 03:47 PM)converrl Wrote:  I disagree with your assessment of BE MBB. Solid programs include XU, GTown, Butler, Creighton, Nova...all fairly solid with recent success. The conference will become more attractive to top recruits because they will play top-notch competition and the programs won't have to split their budgets with FB.

I find it interesting that several schools with minimal or no FB have made it to the championship over the past decade--especially when you consider that they make up a minority of DI programs. I think it speaks to a trend--if you put the bulk of your resources in one revenue sport, that sport will have a greater chance of success.

There's the sticking point with me.

Yes, they've all had recent success. But where are they headed?

Brad Stevens doesn't coach Butler anymore. If Miller gets IU turned around... bye bye Butler.

Creighton hasn't been much since the coach's kid left.

Villanova has been legit, but they seem to go up and down. If Wright leaves, forget them.

Zavier hopefully has ended their run of lucky coaching hires.

I personally would rather hang around with Houston, Memphis and Wichita St than those guys.

If Temple, SMU and UCF get their acts together, I just don't see how the BE is better than the AAC.

Disagree if you want. I think I'm right.

A good test of a program's staying power is its attendance.

For example, UC stunk for Cronin's first 4 years, but annual attendance always stayed above 7,800 per game.

Average attendance in 2019
Big East: 9,999 (4th)
American: 6,739 (7th)

This disparity will get bigger after UConn leaves.

Isn't one of the reasons UConn is leaving due to their decreased attendance/support? This would imply they were not drawing what they once did.

UConn Attendance in the last decade:
2019: 8,652
2018: 7,829
2017: 8,508
2016: 10,413
2015: 10,687
2014: 10,134
2013: 10,728
2012: 12,640
2011: 11,569
2010: 11,685

Attendance had nothing to do with the conference, as they were still in 5-figures for two seasons in the AAC as it stands today...it had everything to do with their team being absolute garbage.

Exactly. Even after several years of awful performance, UConn still has higher attendance than most AAC schools.

07-30-2019 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UConn & AAC Agree to $17M Exit Fee - Captain Bearcat - 07-30-2019 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.