billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: ESPN can renegotiate new AAC TV deal with UConn leaving conference
(06-27-2019 02:14 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 01:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 01:48 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 01:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 11:32 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  Really?? You've "combated " AAC fanboys for believing the comments of the Navy AD over you and your excessive need to hate all things American. Truth be told no one actually knows what the AAC and ESPN are pow wowing about right now. I think anyone with an iota of common sense would err on the side of an actual conference AD over some predictable maniacal broken record . The real question is WTF difference does it make to you. Me personally I can say I don't give a fart about what happens to UCONN and the NBE, but I also can say that I'm happy that they are back together . If the union proves fruitful great and if it doesn't sorry for you, nothing more and nothing less. 07-coffee3

I probably have more interest in this situation than just about anyone here, because I support two schools, one in the Big East and one in the AAC.

Believe me, I *wish* the hack/fanboy interpretation of the Navy AD's off-the-cuff vague comments were more reliable than an article in Sports Business Journal, as USF would then benefit, but I can't.

Especially when the SBJ article is on the side of common sense. 07-coffee3

Do you mean the SBJ article that said "The fact that ESPN included the clause in its contract does not mean that the network definitely will open up the deal, which goes into effect with the 2020-21 season. After all, football is the main driver of these media deals, and UConn’s football performance over the last decade has been awful...Sources told me that ESPN will wait and see how -- and if -- the AAC fills the spot vacated by UConn."

Yes, that article. I don't know if ESPN will decide to "renegotiate" the AAC deal or not. I suspect not, as UConn leaving doesn't change anything substantive that was already agreed on by ESPN and the AAC. The only difference is that one of the 12 schools is now gone, so the deal will just be adjusted such that ESPN will now be paying 11 schools $7m a year rather than 12 schools $7m a year.

If the AAC does decide to add a 12th team, then that might complicate things, as ESPN might decide that the 12th team is worth more, or less, than UConn was. But I doubt any team willing to join the AAC would vary by much in value, so again, no need for a full-blown renegotiation.

Contract isn't written on a $ per school, per year basis.
ESPN total $ for AAC total inventory, with numbers of appearances (really ranges of numbers of appearances) on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2/U, and ESPN+. Look at the conference press release from deal signing.
http://theamerican.org/news/2019/3/27/ge...nsion.aspx

"Football" says "A minimum of 40 regular-season telecasts per season on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, including at least 20 across ABC, ESPN and ESPN2, which represents increased annual exposure across those ESPN networks. A similar number of Thursday and Friday contests."
and "ESPN+" says "It is estimated that between 30-35 conference-controlled football games and approximately 135 men's basketball games will be distributed annually on the cutting-edge platform. An estimated 160 conference-controlled women's basketball games, plus first and quarterfinal rounds of the women's basketball championship, will also be streamed on the digital platform. In addition, hundreds of Olympic sports events ..."

So long as the inventory can be delivered within those ranges, albeit with a handful fewer games with the absence of our last place football team and ninth place basketball....no reason to decrement from $1B over 12 years, or $83,333,333,33 per year to the conference...

Thanks Mike.
A Navy fan (with a contract with CBS and no skin in this) is a terrible cover.
06-27-2019 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN can renegotiate new AAC TV deal with UConn leaving conference - billybobby777 - 06-27-2019 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.