Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving?
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
RE: Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving?
(06-27-2019 09:26 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 08:40 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 08:15 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I seriously doubt production costs are in the millions. The SBC, CUSA, and MAC's TV annual TV money per school is in the mid 6 figures and they're not going to take a net loss of $1 million a year to play week nights on ESPN2.

Also, the article seems to be implying that UConn was planning on the TV money paying the bills, and I'm pretty almost certain that's not the case and that the AAC is getting about the amount of money they're expecting.

Ok... I think we need to first understand what the AAC got... They are not producing ESPN 3 quality games. They have basically been given the next digital network much like the SEC and ACC digital networks. the new AAC Digital brand on ESPN + is an upgrade over FCS and other G5 streams. For example many of the SEC schools (Not florida but surely Arkansas who had to spend 7M) came into the SEC Network launch with only the capability for lower-quality digital broadcasts, with some broadcasts only involving a single camera and the radio feed. (Think ESPN3/quality) FYI- One of the things the ACC keeps hearing from the SEC was that they wish they’d invested more money on the front end instead of going back every year for another million to fix something. (Why do I bring this up with SEC and ACC...Becuase 2M total per year to produce in-house and pay Raycom Sports to produce title games for ESPN+ games might not be that far off...only time will tell)

If you are saying that a ESPN 3 or basic stream to a PC that is lower-quality digital broadcasts, with some broadcasts only involving a single camera and the radio feed. cost 200K - 400K per school per year to produce.. Then how much more will it cost AAC schools for their "responsible for on-campus production costs, to include Raycom Sports and the deal is for the next 12 years.

To say there will be no cost to member school becuase FCS schools can stream their games and to say that the AAC is alreay able to meet the ESPN + Digital Channel mandate of a new digital AAC Brand...well.. is foolish... To say that UCONN will make less money with the BIG East is just plan Stupid!

Link
https://awfulannouncing.com/league-netwo...aunch.html

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour...story.aspx

I've watched both the Sun Belt and AAC on ESPN+ and I don't see any difference in video quality and yes we have press box, end zone, and sideline correspondent cameras.

I guess you will have to ask the AAC Commish what the difference is and why there will be extra cost to it since you can't tell when watching....maybe it is becuase the AAC Digital Brand had not launched yet..just a guess......the debate is what the cost will be since part of it will come from the new $$ Per the AAC Commish....

form the link I provided at the bottom:

AAC leader Mike Aresco touts new media rights deal, addresses ESPN+ criticism

“We basically have our own branded network on ESPN+ for certain kinds of events,” Aresco said. There will be some football and basketball games on ESPN+ as well as many Olympic sporting events, some of which weren’t even offered anywhere on linear television or through streaming sites. “This is an abundance of riches for people who want to watch games they couldn’t watch before,” Aresco said.

As for the logistics, the conference will hire a company to produce the football games and Olympic sports championships featured on ESPN+. Men’s and women’s basketball games, as well as regular-season Olympic sporting events, will be left up to the individual schools to produce at their cost.

“The cost is nowhere near what’s being reported,” Aresco said of claims that annual revenue payouts will be less to each school to cover the production costs. “That’s ridiculous. It’s a fraction of that.”

The schools will have to build out infrastructure to accommodate the move, but Aresco said that each member institution is prepared to do it. He said part of the revenue from the new agreement allows them to upgrade facilities like control rooms and mobile TV units.

Consultants were also brought in to speak with each member school to make sure it was a feasible option, and Aresco said the conference is still researching how to allocate funding as each school works toward a start-up date of 2021.

“There’s some work to do in terms of logistics, but it’s all good because everybody is really happy with the new deal and the amount of revenue we’re going to be getting in,” Aresco added.

Under the new deal, people who subscribe to ESPN+ can find AAC content under its own section with the ability to set alerts for kickoff times and scores.

Link
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c...story.html
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2019 10:02 AM by GTFletch.)
06-27-2019 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the American's new TV deal the real reason why UCONN is leaving? - GTFletch - 06-27-2019 09:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.