Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: UCONN’s replacement has to be outside the box. aka different
(06-28-2019 01:59 PM)BengalBurger Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 09:31 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 06:19 PM)smytiger Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 01:31 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 12:15 PM)BengalBurger Wrote:  The NCAA will not allow you to have a D1 FB program in one conference, and a D1 men's BB program in a different conference per NCAA regs. NCAA regs explicitly prevent exactly the kinds of things that are being discussed, so its impossible.

I don't think that's still true. Or at least, I think the NCAA has relaxed exception parameters.

It is still true. If the Big East sponsored football then UConn could not park their football program in the AAC and Big East in hoops. When Temple football was in the Big East the first time their hoops program was in the A10. A conference has to sponsor both sports per that rule.

For starters, what you're saying is slightly different from the poster to whom I replied. He stated that you could not be D1 in two conferences - period. Obviously you can. The difference you're stating is one of the conferences has to NOT sponsor football.

So I'm not sure why we're having this discussion. I haven't seen any real proposals floated about splitting sports into 2 conferences where BOTH conferences sponsored fb and bb at the D1 level. The BEast certainly doesn't do it. I guess it would come into play if we pursued Boise or one of the other MWC's as a football-only, but the likely offset would be for them to do what BYU does and put other sports in the WCC or some such.

But to continue the hypothetical, how about Notre Dame? I believe they are in the ACC for all except football. And the ACC obviously sponsors football. Maybe because they're independent they get the exclusion. In reality, I think the NCAA would likely grant waivers if both conferences involved petitioned.
The NCAA rule applies to (men's) FB and men's BB - if they're both D1, then they must be in the same conference. "Periot" (as my 15 year old would say). I'm not sure how that differs from my original post. It is expressly forbidden, so we should stop talking about it as a viable option. It is not.

Not true. You're leaving out the scenario where one sport is not offered by the "home" conference. The history of the BEast is full of examples (Va Tech and WVU were BEast football only, basketball A10, off the top of my head). UConn is looking to do the same, though they are being shutdown by the AAC and CUSA.

And those are the most popular scenarios we are discussing for someone like BYU. Home conference of WCC, as it is today (with no fb option). Football in the AAC.
06-28-2019 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UCONN’s replacement has to be outside the box. aka different - Tiger87 - 06-28-2019 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.