ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020
(05-24-2020 10:08 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 08:29 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-23-2020 10:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-23-2020 01:06 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(05-23-2020 10:21 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  If we felt he was better than what we have, he would be on the roster right now. When watching his video, I though he had some skill but wasnt terribly athletic. And its difficult to see if him playing against much smaller guys translates.

That's your biggest problem in talking basketball Giles. You always see the bigger guy having problems guarding the smaller guy, but never see the smaller guy having problems guarding the bigger guy. It's strange.

When ODU had guys like Frank and Odell, the opposition had better have a man to play against them or they pretty well knew going into things that they were going to suffer the consequences.

We have 3 centers. Basketball is a lot different than 1995. People dont realize how little of an advantage just have taller players is.

Jeff Jones wants to play like it's 1995. His offense needs a good post up center to be effective. If he ran a Villanova offense , ir even a VCU type system, Id be more onboard with "positionless".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have no idea where you come up with this stuff. We dont run a post centric offense and have hardly ever done so except a little bit during Porters junior year. Our offense has been very guard (perimeter) centric for the majority of Jones tenure. Freeman, caver/BJ, Bacote. The offense is designed to get guards looks at the elbow. Once Caver was experienced, they switched it to more pick n roll action(thT every team runs now instead of posting up).

If you dont believe me, I can show you:

2019: 4% of the time posting up
2018: 5.6%
2017: 11%
2016: 9%
2015: 6.6%

It's simply because Jeff hasn't had a decent post up center other than Porter. He (Jeff) has worked with what he has had, including how he had to jumble the lineup for most of last season. Jeff WANTS to play post up basketball but you can't do that with offensively challenged 6'-7" post players like Carver.

I believe that you simply can't admit to seeing that because it goes against your (small ball) narrative. It is pretty simple to see, and in fact if you listen to what Jeff says you can even hear him stating as much in his words. Read his quotes again from just a few weeks ago that I posted a few posts up the page from here. He also stated it at the end of the season before last - "We need to get more production out of our post play". Unfortunately, his big man recruiting resulted in a big man that never produced (Karaiskos). It's pretty simple if you pay attention and view things open mindedly.

As EverRespect just pointed out and I myself have stated .... This is Jeff's style. You or we may want him to play a different style, but he's the coach and he gets to decide. Again, if he fails to get the post player he is looking for he will adapt to make lemonade out of his lemons. One day when Jeff is replaced as the ODU coach, if that coach is all in for playing wide open, fast paced, spread the floor, drive to the hoop, shoot lots of 3's, etc. then I will be all in for recruiting the players needed to fit THAT style of play. ODU isn't there today.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2020 01:35 PM by ODU BBALL.)
05-24-2020 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020 - bit_9 - 04-28-2020, 04:52 PM
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020 - ODU BBALL - 05-24-2020 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.