Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020
(03-21-2020 09:32 AM)elon77 Wrote:  
(03-21-2020 08:05 AM)mac Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 11:58 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 10:33 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  Alex has the talent to dominate at our level. The question is whether he has the mentality to be a dominant player. Frankly, he has the talent to be pretty dominant at Duke. He's a freakish athletic wing that shoots pretty well and is 6'7. If we get him, and JJ can live with his terrible defense, and occasional stupid play, he could be a game changer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

O'Connell's offensive stats this season at Duke were as follows:

Scoring Average - 5.2 points
Field Goal % - 40.5%
3 Point Field Goal % - 27.3%
Foul Shooting % - 61.1%

For comparison here's Xavier's offensive stats this season:

Scoring Average - 12.8 points (Green played more minutes)
Field Goal % - 36.8%
3 Point Field Goal % - 32.6%
Foul Shooting % - 74.1%

Two things I’d say about that. There guy played spot minutes off the bench. And he did whatever he did against teams like Virginia, Florida State etc.

Our guy played starter minutes and getting a chance to get into the flow of the game. And he did his thing against Florida whatnot and Texas whatnot.

Plus, did you see the list of teams who originally recruited that cat? Dang, it was more like who didn’t recruit him. If you get the chance for him you take it!

With a youngin that works in Duke Athletics I saw him play several times and even saw him go off for 20 points and good rebound numbers. But then he would disappear and I am not sure why. He has very good hops, good shooter from 3 and is a fairly good rebounder. Now is his defense good? No! But I think in the right situation as a starter he could have good numbers every game. Just my 2 cents.

Based upon last season, I view him as being similar to Xavier Green in that he is streaky (like you indicated). He (and Green) wold have a solid game followed by one or more duds. If either of them could show some consistency in their shooting it would go a very long way towards making them the real offensive threat they seem to have the capability of being.

I agree with you about him playing limited minutes and alluded to it in my prior post. I believe O'Connell averaged 13 minutes a game, and started 5 or 6 games. He probably would have played more had he shown more consistency.
03-21-2020 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020 - ODU BBALL - 03-21-2020 09:51 AM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020 - bit_9 - 04-28-2020, 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.