Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment/Possible Liberty Future
Bookmark and Share
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Realignment/Possible Liberty Future
(01-27-2021 08:48 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  I know this dont directly have to do with Liberty, but maybe I can tell this and yall understand how is might.

I dont know if any of yall payed attention to D2 in the 70s-80s and early 90s? But the Gulf South Conference was THE conference back then, not just for football, but pretty much all sports. They were considered by Sports Illustrated at one point as one of the premier conferences in all of college football. They were listed with the likes of the SEC, and Big East in the article. The only non D1 conference listed.

Anyway, the GSC had a group of schools that were called the "Big 3" that consisted of UNA, JSU and troy state (now troy) huge rivals, not friendly either. Everyone knew they would be competing for conference and National championships every year. Others would slip in and compete as well, but it didn't get bigger than those 3.

We would have near sold out football, basketball and although hard to count in small baseball stadium but fans would be in lawn chairs scattered everywhere when they would get together.

My point I guess is, UNA and JSU, although, not as heated lately because of soo much time not playing regular, are huge rivals, and intrest from fans will ramp up. The schools compete with each other as far as facilities and student recruitment as well.

How does this have anything to do with Liberty? Well, yall are the standard as far as facilities and athletics recruiting. I'm not saying UNA and JSU will match, its obvious there is money disparity compared to Liberty, but that's most schools in the country. But I will say, at least UNA, gets excited about competing with Liberty, and it has shown last year in sports that we were competitive in (remember still in transition) but Softball in Florence was a fun time vs Liberty, and the womens basketball semifinals was rocking.

When UNA and JSU are doing well, the fans travel, well. They travel pretty good anyway. So, if this covid crap ever gets straight, you can expect good crowds from these two schools.

Maybe, eventually, Liberty, JSU and UNA will be the ASUNs version of the "Big 3"...

I guess that is what I'm getting at.

I also think EKU could be on that level as well. Although I dont know a lot about their history or how their fans travel.

I want schools that will build the conference up, invest in themselves, get good national recognition, and expand the footprint of the ASUN. I don't want freeloaders. If UCA, EKU, and JSU can do those things, I want them and anyone else who fits the criteria.
01-28-2021 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realignment/Possible Liberty Future - GE and MTS - 01-28-2021 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.