Bookmark and Share
cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
RE: Realignment/Possible Liberty Future
(04-19-2020 11:41 AM)LibertyOrangeman Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 08:30 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(04-18-2020 03:44 AM)army56mike Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 08:57 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The problem with the A-10 is they already have 14 schools. They aren't adding anyone else unless they are poached which seems unlikely.

What are the thoughts about aiming for the SoCon?

I’d rather stay put in the ASUN.

The SoCon would probably require us to join them for football which is obviously a non-starter for us. However, they've been adding privates and shedding publics while transitioning to a basketball league as Georgia Southern and App State moved to the Sun Belt. We also have an in with VMI as a member; maybe they'd put in a good word for us.

The footprint is a little better. Adding Carolina schools, losing New Jersey and Florida schools. The conference RPI was 13th last year compared to 25th for the ASUN. The average NET was 177.9 for the SoCon compared to 257 for the ASUN (I don't know every conference's average so I don't know where each of us stand but the ASUN is VERY bad).

I do think the ASUN is in an upward trajectory but that may be more of a function of "can't go anywhere but up" but the SoCon already has established schools and adding us would enhance the conference further.
The SoCon is much better than the ASUN, and for that matter, other than markets, I don't think the ASUN is really any better than the Big South. Heck it may be worse. Other than football, the problem with the SoCon or the CAA is that both would be temporary landing spots as well. AAC, Big East and A10 are all homes. With those conferences, we'd all be on equal footing- where we're happy unless a P5 comes calling. That said, I wouldn't turn down a SoCon or CAA invite if one came for our non-football sports

I, also think that the economics of the Rona may trigger more realignment much earlier than expected.

What we need to do is continue growing athletically but most importantly academically. LU had a lot of planning to grow the graduate programs during the time that the undergrad area was near completion but halted on the plan. I'm hoping that they would begin the school of engineering quickly and then start on that graduate campus. If NASA expands the deal that they have with BWX, I will benefit the city and market overall. LU can expand in that field and gain more research and grants that could improve our accreditation in Carnegie classification. What would be great first the region is for LU to consider a hospital and other additional medical facilities/centers. That can grow the medical school and add further concentrations that would advance in the medical field. These developments and progression will make these conferences take us seriously even if they don't like us. They eill see the benefits of having us as a member financially and academically(they'll hate that part). They would be a fool not to accept us especially when schools are decreasing with admissions plus this corona incident that will make schools loose millions. This is repetitive but this is important for us to take the next step.
04-19-2020 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realignment/Possible Liberty Future - cruzan_flame13 - 04-19-2020 12:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.