Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if ACC expansion had gone according to plan?
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: What if ACC expansion had gone according to plan?
(10-02-2020 01:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 12:30 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 09:30 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 09:05 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 06:24 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  This was a solid post that I had forgotten about. There are a couple places where I think things could have gone a little differently:

Rutgers jumping on board the ACC—if Rutgers is approached by the ACC at the same time as Pitt and doesn’t leak the invite to the Big Ten (who then invites Rutgers and Maryland) I could see Pitt and Rutgers both joining the ACC and Maryland staying. The Big Ten stays at 12 unless they pursue schools on the Western edge of their footprint.

Big 12 staying at 10: The only reason WVU got in the Big 12 is they needed a replacement for Missouri and fast. I could see them adding TCU and staying put. This would mean that there would still be a Big East football/AAC with these members:

WVU, Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston

and possibly: Navy (fb only), Memphis, Temple, ECU (fb only if BE, full member if AAC)

If the autobid to the NY6 bowls stays intact maybe Boise St (fb only) and San Diego St (fb only) are also in that mix.

I don't think that Maryland leaving had anything to do with who was or was not in the ACC. They were in desperate straits financially, and the ACC's projected revenues weren't enough to pull them out of the hole. And, why would the ACC want Rutgers if they already had Syracuse? For the Philadelphia market?

The real life Pitt/Syracuse add was motivated by a desire to reopen the tv contract as well as shore up the conference against a potential raid from another BCS conference. It was also meant to be a preemptive territory grab to keep the Big Ten from further expanding in the Northeast.

A hypothetical Pitt/Rutgers add fills in a footprint gap between Cuse/BC and the rest of the conference—effectively making the whole East Coast the ACC footprint. They also help prime the pump for a ND add down the road.

Maryland is still going to be poor but with the ACC striking first there’s no one in the northeast to pair them with and Missouri isn’t available in the West side. Maryland has no where to go.

Please explain exactly how Rutgers would have "primed the pump" for ND to join the ACC ??

ND loves playing in those big northeastern markets—you can’t get much bigger than NYC.

It’s but one of many components of building a ND Friendly conference:

1. big northeastern markets
2. academically prestigious private schools
3. Southeastern recruiting

Even when ND offered to play Rutgers back in the Big East days, they only wanted to play in the old Meadowlands (now Met Life).

In fact, Rutgers turned down a multi-game scheduling offer from ND back then because ND didn't want to play Rutgers at Rutgers Stadium/High Point Solutions Stadium/SHI Stadium.

ND can play in New York/New Jersey any time it wants to, and has, at the Meadowlands/Met Life and at Yankee Stadium.

They can and have played a number of schools, Army, Navy and Syracuse (including Rutgers) among others, at those venues.

ND has been playing in New York since Knute Rockne. It doesn't need to be a conference member with Rutgers to do so.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co...987219002/

Rutgers as an ACC member opponent would not have and still would not "move the needle", let alone "prime the pump" for ND football to become a permanent member of the ACC under this or any other possible scenario.

But, I appreciate the analysis. I asked and you answered.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2020 08:28 PM by TerryD.)
10-02-2020 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What if ACC expansion had gone according to plan? - TerryD - 10-02-2020 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.