JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: OT: Steve Buckhantz might be gone?
(06-09-2019 10:36 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  
(06-09-2019 07:47 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(06-08-2019 11:23 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  
(06-08-2019 09:49 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(06-07-2019 05:21 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Man I get so frustrated when I read posts like this. You don’t pay coaches according to your budget. You pay according to what the market is and hope it fits within your budget. We are an FCS school. A top 5-10 FCS school. I expect the JMU football coach to be among the top 10 FCS coaches in salary as long as his performance warrants that type of pay.

Nation, mostly I agree, but in reality it's easy to say NDSU and JMU are perienial top 10 FCS schools, who else? Maybe EWU? Maybe SDSU? Maybe SHDU? You can't take a team who simply has a couple good seasons and say they're a top 10 program and use what they pay as a measuring stick. Maine's coach is not going to have the same expectations placed on his shoulders as the NDSU and JMU coach must carry around. At the FCS level there's certainly market value but it will have more to do with ticket sales and whether the crowd wants him in charge.

Who is paying more at the FCS level then JMU at this time?

What's that got to do with my post? I'm responding to your thoughts.

It is an honest question. Who in FCS is paying more than JMU is paying Cig? If Cig is the highest paid coach in FCS, why should JMU be paying more? Cig is already being paid above market. If Cig is the highest paid FCS coach, then there is no measuring stick. JMU is it. Numero uno.

I haven't heard anyone calling for Cig to be paid more currently. If he matches or tops Houston's results, and we sell out BFS on a regular basis it may be warranted. Doubt it will be easy to find another coach of that caliber. There aren't dozens of Houstons and Cigs floating around.

Rocco is *likely* paid more at UD. He was making 437k in the 2015 timeframe at RU. UD does not release this information, but likely paid more to lure him away.
https://www.aseaofred.com/scanning-fcs-c...-salaries/

Huesman at RU may also make more. According to the below article, he was offered around $430k by RU, but RU also does not release salary.
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/spor...se/402934/

Not sure why the focus on football salary. In the post you reacted to, I said "top coaches" not football coaches. Most recently I have mentioned basketball and softball coaches with respect to pay. We apparently couldn't afford a more experienced/"proven" coach for MBB, and are at risk of losing our softball coach. We also lost a solid WBB coach, though that was slightly more understandable (but as others said, JMU was too slow to reward KB for success).

I'd like to see JMU hire and retain winning coaches, rather than spend more money on auxiliary staff like a big name announcer. Our athletic overheads seem high relative to our budget, given we spend less on coaches relative to other schools with similar budgets. We spend almost identical money to ECU in published reports, and more than anyone outside the P5 + AAC (P6) schools. We spend FBS money.
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

It makes sense that schools with larger budgets will eventually hire some of our successful coaches. Schools with smaller fanbases and smaller budgets shouldn't be able to poach our staff.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2019 05:26 AM by JMURocks.)
06-10-2019 05:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Steve Buckhantz might be gone? - JMURocks - 06-10-2019 05:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.