Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tony Shaver out at William & Mary
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: Tony Shaver out at William & Mary
(03-14-2019 09:34 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  If they wanted to let go of Shaver, it should have been delayed at the minimum. Paying someone $1.7M NOT to coach is by far the biggest financial commitment the school will have made to basketball in a very long time.

82 keeps talking about Shaver's failure to make the NCAA Tournament. The only reason W&M was ever even in a discussion to make the NCAA Tournament was because of Shaver. Now they're likely going to hire an outsider who has no idea how difficult it is to win there.

Good luck making a splashy hire: Who is going to pay the new coach substantially more than Shaver made AND pay the $1.7M buyout? It makes zero sense. Yes, the school itself has money from a sizable endowment. But why couldn't they have just spent that kind of money in the past to help the basketball program over the last 2 decades?

Shaver made this program competitive with very little funds. Imagine what he could have done with that $1.7M. He was the Mark Scalf of basketball coaches.

This post on the Tribe board sums it up nicely:

(03-14-2019 08:28 AM)wmmii Wrote:  So Huge can find 1.7M to buyout Shaver but could not find enough funds to pay for the team to attend summer school for each semester? Shaver and his staff worked with a shoestring budget and we now will magically find $1,700,000 to fund his buyout. Hope the Tribe Club makes sure no private funds are used to fund this as i know my contributions were never intended for this purpose.

I'm not talking about anything, i'm quoting their AD. Take a minute and read the W&M threads from when she was hired. Then, take a minute and look at HER statement as to why it was time to move on. SHE specifically mentioned the lack of an NCAA tournament spot...ever.

Furthermore, I stated I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I can see both sides of the argument. But, the kicker for it all is that the AD cannot and did not make this decision, the school President did. Their "trustees" did. The AD may have a vision and may have recommended this happen, but this diid not happen without the full support of the administration.
03-14-2019 04:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Tony Shaver out at William & Mary - Proff - 03-13-2019, 10:46 PM
RE: Tony Shaver out at William & Mary - 82hawk - 03-14-2019 04:49 PM
Tony Shaver out at William & Mary - Proff - 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Tony Shaver out at William & Mary - Proff - 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.